Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Darren Holloway (Pennine)

Re: Darren Holloway (Pennine)

Very sad to hear this news yesterday, such a young fit bloke.

As everyone has said earlier, he was always giving encouragement to all abilities.

I last saw Daz as he gave me a shout as I came in at the Causey Pike Race, he had long since finished his race

Fond memories of beers in keswick on the early XOTF evenings and I particularly remember him making me feeling really proud for completing the Round Rotherham LDWA event. All my mates had thrown it in and I remember him saying

"Well done for sticking it out and going alone"

He'll be sadly missed at races.

Jamie

Like IDP I heard about this last night. I'm numb with shock and sadness. I'd followed Daz' blog for a good while and used him as inspiration. I'd run a few local races in which he'd run but only found out afterwards that he'd been there. I've been waiting to meet him in person. Sadly that won't happen now, but Daz, you will continue to inspire us. Rest In Peace.

I got to know Daz quite well over the years and we always spoke at races. He encouraged me to do a BG last year and always gave you the confidence to believe you could do anything. I remember him at the FRA Relays last year, he was at the bottom of that last climb and he ran all the way up with me which made me run too, I thanked him later for his encouragement. Not only was he a top runner himself but he was so thoughtful and generous with his time and wise words. Deepest sympathies to all who loved him and he will be sadly missed.
    Linda Murgatroyd, Calder Valley Fell Runners

this is awful
    doesn't seem real
    I didn't really know him as such, just exchanged the odd word as part of a group chatting before races, but his basic decency came across even then
    my thoughts are with his family and friends
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

I couldn't believe what I was reading when I got news of this yesterday.

We chatted a few times at the end of races like Edale, Trog and Tour of Pendle and he was always far more interested in your race than you were in his, even when he'd finished much further up the field - a real gent.

Condolences to his family and friends, a comfort at this tragic time is that he died doing the thing he loved the most, in the mountains and amongst friends.
    @jasesteve

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Goatess View Post
    Terrible news and such a shock to us all. He was such an inspiration and an incredible fell runner. RIP Daz mate, you will be greatly missed in the fellrunning world.
    Thoughts and sympathies go out to your family x
    I preferred your original version, we should celebrate his life.

god this is just dreadful

he was only PMing me the other day with tips and encouragement on bike racing

never met him but he was nevertheless really selfless like that

truly shocked and dismayed

Its just absolutely terrible.
    When I found out last night I was in utter shocker. I just cant get my head round it.

Nobody has a bad word to say about Daz, and as everybody has said above he was just an absolute gent. Regardless of who you were, Daz has respect for you. I remember him saying that he didnt feel in awe of those better than him...we're all the same, but I always felt in awe when Id race with him.

I first met Daz at my first every fell race back in 2009 for "The Roaches". I didnt have any fell shoes and a week later he gave me a pair of his walshes. We first 'raced' each other for the Skiddaw race, and he helped me up to the top before flying down like a nutter.
    Finest moment was when he pretty much dragged me round the 2010 Anniversary Walz race, Id completely blown up before High Spy but he kept shouting and pushing and in the end I beat him on the final descent.

This year has been the best year of Daz's racing life. The training and dedication he put in was more than inspirational. He was a handy runner before he upped his training, but this year he's just been amazing. 5th at Three Shires, and 1st MV40 at Scafell Pike.

The last words he wrote on his blog, A brilliant day. Sums Daz up. Absolutey lived for the sport.

Daz my friend I will miss you so much. I'll have you in my mind everytime I dont want to train, when Im suffering and need that push, and everytime I race. What a guy. RIP fella.
    Last edited by Al Fowler; 08-10-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Master

So so shocked to hear this. I met Daz at many races right across the UK. Mr enthusiast x10 and damn talented too. What a loss to the fell running community, condolences to all his family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    Its just absolutely terrible.
    When I found out last night I was in utter shocker. I just cant get my head round it.

Nobody has a bad word to say about Daz, and as everybody has said above he was just an absolute gent. Regardless of who you were, Daz has respect for you. I remember him saying that he didnt feel in awe of those better than him...we're all the same, but I always felt in awe when Id race with him.

I first met Daz at my first every fell race back in 2009 for "The Roaches". I didnt have any fell shoes and a week later he gave me a pair of his walshes. We first 'raced' each other for the Skiddaw race, and he helped me up to the top before flying down like a nutter.
    Finest moment was when he pretty much dragged me round the 2010 Anniversary Walz race, Id completely blown up before High Spy but he kept shouting and pushing and in the end I beat him on the final descent.

This year has been the best year of Daz's racing life. The training and dedication he put in was more than inspirational. He was a handy runner before he upped his training, but this year he's just been amazing. 5th at Three Shires, and 1st MV40 at Scafell Pike.

The last words he wrote on his blog, A brilliant day. Sums Daz up. Absolutey lived for the sport.

Daz my friend I will miss you so much. I'll have you in my mind everytime I dont want to train, when Im suffering and need that push, and everytime I race. What a guy. RIP fella.
    Al I'm really moved by that. Lovely stories and beautifully written mate.
    Be Humble. Sit Down.