Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Darren Holloway (Pennine)

Re: Darren Holloway (Pennine)

Tragic loss of a true gent, RIP Daz
    Clive, Hebden Bridge

Thoughts are with everyone who knew him, in person or just on here. Never had the chance to meet him properly, but I enjoyed his blog from time to time and from the stories coming out on here the fellrunning world will miss him greatly. RIP
    But in the end, journeys brought joys that outweighed the pain - F.T.

What an awful tragedy, so sorry to hear this, my thoughts go out to his family and all who knew him, RIP

140 of us browsing this thread right now, all no doubt like me, having to double check what we've heard....we won't being seeing Darren again. It is quite unbelievable- such a fit bloke and inspirationally getting fitter and faster (seems ages ago now when I could just about race him). A fine bloke who enjoyed and excelled in all aspects of the fell running- the running, the racing, the banter (inc the on-line variety) and just 'being there' up on the fells. A tragic loss.
    Here's to the laid back fell runner...

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    Its just absolutely terrible.
    When I found out last night I was in utter shocker. I just cant get my head round it.

Nobody has a bad word to say about Daz, and as everybody has said above he was just an absolute gent. Regardless of who you were, Daz has respect for you. I remember him saying that he didnt feel in awe of those better than him...we're all the same, but I always felt in awe when Id race with him.

I first met Daz at my first every fell race back in 2009 for "The Roaches". I didnt have any fell shoes and a week later he gave me a pair of his walshes. We first 'raced' each other for the Skiddaw race, and he helped me up to the top before flying down like a nutter.
    Finest moment was when he pretty much dragged me round the 2010 Anniversary Walz race, Id completely blown up before High Spy but he kept shouting and pushing and in the end I beat him on the final descent.

This year has been the best year of Daz's racing life. The training and dedication he put in was more than inspirational. He was a handy runner before he upped his training, but this year he's just been amazing. 5th at Three Shires, and 1st MV40 at Scafell Pike.

The last words he wrote on his blog, A brilliant day. Sums Daz up. Absolutey lived for the sport.

Daz my friend I will miss you so much. I'll have you in my mind everytime I dont want to train, when Im suffering and need that push, and everytime I race. What a guy. RIP fella.
    Very well written Al.
    This is a deep shock that I am still struggling to come to terms with.

Daz was such an inspiration and role model for me. He always encouraged me, introducing me to many a forumite at races and always there with a bit of banter and wisdom.
    My thoughts are with his family and all runners and riders who will be saddened by his loss.

Such a terrible shock for all who were obviously so very privilaged to have known him, but also for those of us who didn't but who share such a love of these places and affection for the people we share them with. Some of us hoped for the best, but feared the worst as the race was paused between Hart Crag & Fairfield while the helicopter landed yesterday.

We all send our deepest sympathy to Daz's family and friends and to everyone at Pennine at this very sad news.

Dave
    (Eden Runners, Penrith)

Bloody hell, i'm in shock here.

I've had some 'real' fun with Daz on here over the years.
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Rich View Post
    140 of us browsing this thread right now, all no doubt like me, having to double check what we've heard....we won't being seeing Darren again. It is quite unbelievable- such a fit bloke and inspirationally getting fitter and faster (seems ages ago now when I could just about race him). A fine bloke who enjoyed and excelled in all aspects of the fell running- the running, the racing, the banter (inc the on-line variety) and just 'being there' up on the fells. A tragic loss.
    A huge loss. Just a massive shock. He really was as fit as a fiddle.

I read this on facebook yesterday at it really hit me. Not sure what to say.. I got to know Daz over the years as he was one of those runners I always competed with at some point during the race, and he tended to be at most races, earlier on I tended to get the upper hand but less so recently as he'd kicked on and become a better runner.. but we always had a chat after/before the race. It was always a nice competition with him, we'd talk/encourage/joke as we passed each other and he always made time for a chat at the end.

Run Free mate.

Only found out this morning.. really shocked. A massive loss to fell running both locally here in the Peak District and as a whole.