Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Patella Tendonitis, keep runni

Master

Re: Patella Tendonitis, keep r

yesterday I did countless single leg squats, Lunges and also a 6 miles steady run. I have to say I think there is a little improvement today. It will be interesting to see what happens after a day at my PC and sitting in meetings!

Over the last two days I written my self off. very sore knees, wobbly, cracking, unable to get up. Had a business meeting today where they have a top physio. Over heard aphone call where a guy had just cancelled his imminent appointment. erm if you've nothing to do... So in my suit in I went.

2 problems a bit of arthritis which was no surprise.but also diagnosed with Patella tenonitis.

no running for 4 weeks. There goes my fast Trigger
    first week icing and anti inflammatries then stretching and squats...
    some useful stuff above

Super Moderator

Good luck Ian! Hit the squats hard. I had this in 2008 and they sorted me after I thought I'd never be right again
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Good luck Ian! Hit the squats hard. I had this in 2008 and they sorted me after I thought I'd never be right again
    Partial one legged squats with weight and loads of stretching working for me. Promised the dog a decent run on Saturday, been that long i don't think she quite believes me
    Attachment 6675
    Last edited by stevefoster; 09-01-2013 at 11:26 PM.
    Hills and Guinness!

I've done three runs this week. last nights head torch session I put some effort in to some of the sessions. feel unfit still but no pain this morning but i'm very slow on the descents as thats where the pain is.
    At least they aren't cracking like they were.
    Hoping to get through the Trigger but I think it will be a big ask. I'll do one leg at a time.....No pun intended....Slowly

Master

Hi DT, Loads of questions! I have been doing squats now for some 5 months and although I can run there is still soreness in the knee cap especially kneeling down or just poking around in it. Happy to run abit more but wish it would completely clear. Did your go? Did you keep up the squats after the injury cleared and lastly.......how many squats were you doing a day?

From IDP ("I've done three runs this week. last nights head torch session I put some effort in to some of the sessions. feel unfit still but no pain this morning but i'm very slow on the descents as thats where the pain is.
    Hoping to get through the Trigger but I think it will be a big ask. I'll do one leg at a time.....No pun intended....Slowly ")

Ian has your PT now cleared. I wonder too if I have some arthritis in there. I had to stop climbing due to arthritis in my elbows but hope that PT will be a seperate issue?

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    Hi DT, Loads of questions! I have been doing squats now for some 5 months and although I can run there is still soreness in the knee cap especially kneeling down or just poking around in it. Happy to run abit more but wish it would completely clear. Did your go? Did you keep up the squats after the injury cleared and lastly.......how many squats were you doing a day?

From IDP ("I've done three runs this week. last nights head torch session I put some effort in to some of the sessions. feel unfit still but no pain this morning but i'm very slow on the descents as thats where the pain is.
    Hoping to get through the Trigger but I think it will be a big ask. I'll do one leg at a time.....No pun intended....Slowly ")

Ian has your PT now cleared. I wonder too if I have some arthritis in there. I had to stop climbing due to arthritis in my elbows but hope that PT will be a seperate issue?

Simon
    Hi Simon
    Knees feel reasonably good now but to be fair I've had some thing else to think about. the Patella it's self still remains sore if I kneel down or bang it but it's not painful when I run. I've found out that alot of other club runners have the same problem and most of them just "live with it" I suspect it's going to be the same for me.

I think when you've just got to manage it, certainly strengthening the muscles around it make a difference. One thing that has worked for me is when you come out of the squat/knee bend to continue slowly until you can't straighten it any more(almost hyper extend)and then pull up on you quad(tense the quad) if that makes sense. This pulls the tendons into their normal grooves...

Master

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Hi Simon
    Knees feel reasonably good now but to be fair I've had some thing else to think about. the Patella it's self still remains sore if I kneel down or bang it but it's not painful when I run. I've found out that alot of other club runners have the same problem and most of them just "live with it" I suspect it's going to be the same for me.

I think when you've just got to manage it, certainly strengthening the muscles around it make a difference. One thing that has worked for me is when you come out of the squat/knee bend to continue slowly until you can't straighten it any more(almost hyper extend)and then pull up on you quad(tense the quad) if that makes sense. This pulls the tendons into their normal grooves...
    Thanks Ian, thats really re assuring as I think I am in a similar position to you in that I can now run but when I bang it etc... I will go for the hyper extensions of the quads and hopefully strengthen the knees supporting muscles more.

Simon

Super Moderator

How are the knees Simon and Ian?
    Poacher turned game-keeper

How are the knees Simon and Ian?
    Not too bad but then I've hardly run since the trigger. Hope all is ok with you Andy