Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leg Strength Training

Re: Leg Strength Training

Cheers everyone!! I've sorted a bit of a routine, well two routines out tbf. Nee Bother / Mr Brightside I will be, as always, getting out up hills, but this situation is when I'm at work, there are no fells here! Odd tho' it might seem I get an hour to maintain fitness in the works gym so I needed something which will target the said areas rather than a) Sit on my a**e and do nothing b) Use the Cross Trainer constantly or c) Do stuff that doesn't really achieve anything. :thumbup:

Cheers again all.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    Cheers everyone!! I've sorted a bit of a routine, well two routines out tbf. Nee Bother / Mr Brightside I will be, as always, getting out up hills, but this situation is when I'm at work, there are no fells here! Odd tho' it might seem I get an hour to maintain fitness in the works gym so I needed something which will target the said areas rather than a) Sit on my a**e and do nothing b) Use the Cross Trainer constantly or c) Do stuff that doesn't really achieve anything. :thumbup:

Cheers again all.
    Work, i see. Personally i'd use the crosstrainer over weights, as it'll save your knees. If it is a supplementary session in addition to fell running, then anything vigorously aerobic is what i'd personally go for not weights. I'm glad you have time to use the firm's gym; all i have time to do, after having shovelled enough grub down me to last 5.5hrs, is 4-6mins of light patella friction/mobilisation before it's back to the hothouse!
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I am, in this respect, extremely fortunate I must say! Swings and round-a-bouts. But I won't be heard complaining too much. Cheers once again for your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyA View Post
    Happy to
    Thanks very much Andy that's all good. Cheers

Just to add my tuppence which is I've found interval sessions on a cross-trainer (without using the handles) a great way of getting some aerobic benefit using much the same set of muscles but zero impact on knees etc. Stepper machines on the other hand are rubbish (IMHO).

Also for building up leg strength per se... don't discount the option of just putting 30-40lb of weight in a rucksack & walking up some hills!

Cheers Elliptic. I do exactly that session on the cross trainer, and often do a 'bit' of walking. The cross trainer I definately find helpful.

Master

Just a suggestion - find a steep set of fell steps - for example up the face of Wansfell Pike or Loughrigg or up to red Tarn - and go up as fast as you can - repeat as often as you like! This can be timed of course and is race specific. Whilst going up with a pack is harder it may encourage "slow strength" rather than race speed. Similar sets of steps surely exist in the other hilly parts of the UK.

Thats something I always intend doing Mike, but if I'm down in the Lakes its generally a long run or a walk with the wife or something. Its trying to find a balance I guess with that sort of stuff. If I can get enough long runs done I'll probably try and get the hill reps done. Theres nothing long enough round where I live (...although there is a road section of about 100-200 meters). Thinking about it though I guess a high-tempo session on the cross-trainer may be benificial. I might try that after christmas, round February. After this, supposed, strengthening phase!?
    Last edited by that_fjell_guy; 29-10-2012 at 10:40 PM. Reason: minor error irritated me!

Master

120 flights of stairs - in lots of 2 up/2 down - 40 with a 14.8 kg back pack, 80 running without the pack. 28' 40". Certainly warms you up!