Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BG attempts 27th to 29th June

Re: BG attempts 27th to 29th J

OK, here's a nicer photo of Dave. Taken around 4.30am Saturday morning, somewhere near the Langdales...

Quote Originally Posted by macc ladd View Post
    OK, here's a nicer photo of Dave. Taken around 4.30am Saturday morning, somewhere near the Langdales...
    He's only got one leg, awesome
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Just got back from busy weekend.
    Did 1st 2 legs with Karl Edwards in PERFECT conditions.
    Lovely night after midnight start hardly using our torches as the moon was low but quite bright. Took direct line off Calva and we all commented how easy it was through the bracken. We linked arms to cross Caldew and laughed as it was only ankle deep.
    The sky to the east started to turn red on the climb up Mungrisedale and stayed with us to about Helvellyn.We could see the cloud building up to the west and were thinking the forecasters were going to be right. Karl and his 2 companions came across their first cloud on Fairfield (I missed this one out) and a bit on Seat Sandal.
    Very well done to Karl, Swiss Toni and any others on the fells this weekend.
    I hope some one can continue my report as i "escaped" before the weather closed in.

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Fantastic effort Swiss Toni. Not bad for a "mid-packer"!

Congratulations to everyone else who succeeded.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Well done Swiss Toni & everyone else who finished at the weekend. A fantastic effort from you all.

See you all at the Shap Wells Hotel in October!

As for the 'double' man, I'm sure he'll have another go in better conditions. Good luck.

Shame to hear the double attempt didn;t come off. We were grateful for your rope at Broad Stand and the powder patches you used to mark the way to the top of Scafell - genius idea.

I was thinking about you just moments after i finished 'just' one round (in a heap) on Saturday evening. Good luck if you decide to go for for it again, you have my admiration!

ST

powder patches?

Please say they didn't mark the ground?

This is going against the spirit of the game IMO. Fair enough use a rope, but the use of ladders and ground markers is taking the piss a bit IMO.

Sorry if that offends anyone, but as a person who loves being in the mountains and fells that just goes straight through me.

Support is one thing, but maybe the BGR should stipulate what tactics are pushing the boundaries of a round now.

I hope we don't see such tactics in Wales on the PBR, the navigation is part of the challenge.

Its an interesting observation which contributes to the 'whats fair' debate - there are lots of grey areas Many say that use of a GPS isnt cricket (and GPS use on BGR's is quite common now), but then again e.g. is having an orienteering expert as part of your support team fair? I think the only thing that must be guaranteed is that that you cover the route under you own power.The one thing that stands out to me as a bit dodgy is instances where people have been virtually picked up and carried by their support teams, especially when struggling on the long run in to Keswick on a clockwise round.

Good point.

I'm not sure re GPS, I'm a lot faster with a map and compass anyway, in complex terrain a GPS isn't as accurate as a map and compass.

I just think marking the ground is a step too far IMO. Interested to what others feel. As a person who loves the mountains first and foremost I may hold purer views than most fell runners. I think as it is fell running is losing too many of it's great navigation races. It seems it's now almost orienteering OR way marked fell racing. Like in the Carneddau race, maybe runners should be left a bit more to their own devices, but hey this is way way off thread now.

I don't think use of a ladder is on. A rope is to provide security, not an aid to climb directly.