Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BGR attempt 2013

BGR attempt 2013

Well, I've put this off long enough now and with encouragement from Martyn and Mrs Price I'm throwing my hat into the Bob Graham ring :w00t:

I hope to make an attempt May/June/July 2013 (most likely friday 21st June), must admit though, having witnessed Martyn's training and having helped out on his first attempt I'm pretty scared of what lies ahead (but excited at the same time).
    I've supported Leg 2 (Martyns) and 3 (Stolly twice) only so far so really need to get Legs 1, 4 and 5 done soon to familiarise myself with them.

Tried my legs out a few weeks ago and did 74 miles (Berlin marathon sunday, 13 miles Ilkley Moor wednesday and Round Ripon Ultra 35 Saturday) and they held up OK so here's hoping...

Let the training commence:thumbup:
    Last edited by protodoc; 16-10-2012 at 02:51 PM.

Re: Hoping to attempt BGR 2013

Got to train the head too. A good start would be rename the thread "I am going to..." rather than "Hoping to attempt...". I never referred to my round as an attempt. Sounds daft but so much of these things are run between the ears. Good luck!

Re:BGR attempt 2013

Thanks for that Mark, was thinking ahead re possible injury etc, I've changed the title:thumbup:
    Last edited by protodoc; 16-10-2012 at 02:59 PM.

Re: BGR attempt 2013

21 June eh? Noted. I will relay the news to the support manager
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Hi Protodoc, We seem to know the same people! Im yet undecided on my plan for next year but i recced leg 1 with another Harrogate lad at the weekend. I also ran the Ripon ultra and did ok for my longest run yet! What sort of pace are you looking at? Im sure the Prices will hear of my recces so feel free to tag along when we go.
    MP you assistance is required for the best route on leg 1! Dont tell me show me!! Did you hear from JY? It hasnt put him off so looks like if i dont attempt i will be helping him...
    How did you do at Ripon?

Best advice I ever got -top 3 tips for a successful BGR:

1. Don't go too hard on Legs 1 and 2.
    2. Don't go too hard on Legs 1 and 2.
    3. Don't go too hard on Legs 1 and 2.

From my successsful clockwise round this year I would add a 4th of - Don't break your hand falling on Halls Fell ... but don't want to scare the horses ..

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by nosemi View Post
    Hi Protodoc, We seem to know the same people! Im yet undecided on my plan for next year but i recced leg 1 with another Harrogate lad at the weekend. I also ran the Ripon ultra and did ok for my longest run yet! What sort of pace are you looking at? Im sure the Prices will hear of my recces so feel free to tag along when we go.
    MP you assistance is required for the best route on leg 1! Dont tell me show me!! Did you hear from JY? It hasnt put him off so looks like if i dont attempt i will be helping him...
    How did you do at Ripon?
    Thanks nosemi, will happily tag along as many times as I can. I managed a steady 7.23 for the Ripon Ultra and was pretty chuffed as I was still tired from Berlin (3.46) and felt awful at 12 miles, completely empty of energy but managed to keep going and ground it out.

Quote Originally Posted by legbski View Post
    1. Don't go too hard on Legs 1 and 2.
    2. Don't go too hard on Legs 1 and 2.
    3. Don't go too hard on Legs 1 and 2.
    Good advice!
    Geoff Clarke

Re: Hoping to attempt BGR 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
    Got to train the head too. A good start would be rename the thread "I am going to..." rather than "Hoping to attempt...". I never referred to my round as an attempt. Sounds daft but so much of these things are run between the ears. Good luck!
    Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by protodoc View Post
    Well, I've put this off long enough now and with encouragement from Martyn and Mrs Price I'm throwing my hat into the Bob Graham ring :w00t:

I hope to make an attempt May/June/July 2013 (most likely friday 21st June), must admit though, having witnessed Martyn's training and having helped out on his first attempt I'm pretty scared of what lies ahead (but excited at the same time).
    I've supported Leg 2 (Martyns) and 3 (Stolly twice) only so far so really need to get Legs 1, 4 and 5 done soon to familiarise myself with them.

Tried my legs out a few weeks ago and did 74 miles (Berlin marathon sunday, 13 miles Ilkley Moor wednesday and Round Ripon Ultra 35 Saturday) and they held up OK so here's hoping...

Let the training commence:thumbup:
    I'll hopefully see you going the other way sometime on the 22nd Mark - I'm retrying my anti-clockwise round attempt that day with the same chap I failed with first time in June

And legbski I totally, totally agree with your 'don't go too hard on legs 1 and 2' comment. This is especially true if you go way off beam in zero viz hill fog after dark and feel a desperate need to try and make up for lost time