Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ** Tan Hill - Cat & Fiddle**

** Tan Hill - Cat & Fiddle**

Firstly hello. Some of you may remember me from the 1980s when I was messing about on the long distance scene. If any of you are curious as to where I’ve gone it’s simple. I’m knackered. A walk up Orrest Head is now a long day out for me!!

I’m no longer in the FRA, but still get sent copies of Fellrunner. The Spring 2012 edition has a comment about a crossing of Tan – Cat by Geoff Petengel and his party. His claims for a winter record are unfortunately incorrect, but this is because much information about the run is misplaced or has never been recorded.

The apparent holder of the winter record is Pete Simpson, who some of you may know. I supported Pete on his run, hence my interest. His winter time may also be the overall record for a crossing of the route.

Pete and I went for a pint or two last night, and worked through what bit of info we hold on the route. We’ve decided to try and collate information up to date on all attempts, successful or not, and this is the reason for this post.
    We still have various bits of information on the route, but have no idea where it all came from or if it's up to date, or indeed if it ever was!

Do any of you know of any attempts, at any time on this route? If so are you able to let me have details? Dates, times etc would be most useful. We are trying to gain access to the Rucksack Club archives, but we suspect that not everyone passed their details over.

So, if you’ve got any information at all could you drop me an e-mail ([email protected]), and we’ll try and put together a history of the route, and maybe it will appear in print sometime!

Hope some of you can help, many thanks if you can.

Fellhound

Re: ** Tan Hill - Cat & Fiddle

Mike Cudahy's records for the route are well documented in his book "Wild Trails to Far Horizons"

Yes, we know about that, but that is mainly about Mike's own runs not about everyone else's. That's why we're after information.
    As I said - not everyone told the Rucksack Club about their attempts down there. I never did!

Hello Frank,

I'm pretty certain we have met in the past and for my sins I'm an Ex Pres' of the RC, so if you want to drop me a line, I'll see if I can put you in touch with the "right" folks in the RC who might be able to provide some more detail on the events surrounding the Tan-Cat and some of the other Ultra/"Daft" Long Stuff the Rucksack Club is rightly renownded for.

Either pm me via the FRA F' or I can be found via here http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~temples/hc/ (Logan's Run & The Kinder Trail & The Champs are "my charges"!!)

Cheers for now.......
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..

As Frank says we were operating on 'duff' info. Our (myself, Mark Cudahy and Tom Howard, and Ian Charters part of the way) attempt in late December 2011 had two objectives. One was to complete the Tan-Cat in darkest winter in a manner befitting the route's history, the other was to try to get inside what our sources informed us was the winter record. I think it is fair to say that we succeeded in the first but not in the second!

What Pete Simpson achieved in 1987 was fantastic and as far as I am aware clearly stands as the winter record for the TanHill to Cat and Fiddle route. Very well done Pete!

As far as the summer record goes, I thought that Mike Cudahy had done a sub 30 hour time (26 hrs something?). No doubt The Rucksack Club archives would clarify this?

I know that various Cudahys ( in the company of various folk) have had a number of attempts and that Mike Hartley has also done it.

Best wishes, Geoff
    Last edited by geofpet; 19-10-2012 at 08:27 PM.

Hi there Luv Shack and Geoff. We must have met soemwhere, but I've no idea who you are! Geoff and I met on Mike's PW record when he drove my car from Snake to the finish. He liked my music so much that when my tapes were stolen 2 days later I did wonder!!! I know Geoff was at the reunion in Malham - Mike says that it was my idea!!!

I've been in touch with Mike about access to the RC archives. If possible we'd like to spend some time just pouring through past journals. Way back in the 80s there were many attempts, but in the days before internet and mobile phones all organisation was somewhat primitive. We wrote letters to each other!!!

I'll drop Luv Shack a more detailed mail later in the weekend, when I might find out when and where we met!

Geoff - I know you were thinking along similar lines, but Pete has the bit between his teeth now, and as he has some form of record he wants chapter and verse. Unfortunately he spends most of his time in Turkey, so has delegated me to do the donkey work!!

I'll be in touch, and thanks.

Fabulous!

The real beauty of the internet.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Has anyone else got any info on any runs down this route. Fathers, uncles and all the old codgers who can only talk about what they once were capable of. Anyone down the club know anything or anyone?

We've got some info already, but know that there is a lot more out there. It's finding it that's the challenge.

Help!!!!!!!

Have you had the info from Mike Cudahy/ John Richardson Frank?

No Geoff. Not heard from either of them.
    Mike Hartley and LuvShack are doing some digging for me.
    I've had contact from the son of a guy who did it in the early eighties, but am waiting more info.
    Other than that info is hard to come by.
    I suspect that most of the guys who might have done this route won't be on internet forums and they will take some rooting out.