Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: winter broxap round -29 munros

winter broxap round -29 munros

Just after Jon Gay trotted round the ramsay, I walked round the 29 Munros of the Broxap Round. It was a magnificent trip and I had taken my SLR and another lens to capture it. I just need to sort through the 360 images now. Great conditions of rock hard neve, full moon and very little wind. It took me ages because I became very sleep deprived and there were some very awkward sections without proper crampons on bone hard neve. I spent 3 hours at Cam Ban bothy trying to recover and cook something, but I can't say I slept there - it was too cold. I did spontaneously fall asleep 8 times on the hill. Eventually I made it round in 61 hours, after going astray in the dark coming down Sgurr Fhuaran and having a bit of an epic in a gorge. Not sleeping much at all the night before, then missing another two nights sleep reduced me to a bit of a crawl in the second night, but the moon over the Saddle made it look like an Alpine giant.

I left some food on the A87 in Glen Shiel but apart from that went solo unsupported. With the camera gear and cooking stuff, the bag was heavier than I'd have liked, but I reckon it was worth it.

Its a bit of a monster - I reckon close on 75 miles and 34,800 feet of ascent. Memorable!

Re: winter broxap round -29 mu

Quote Originally Posted by Full Moon Addict View Post
    Just after Jon Gay trotted round the ramsay, I walked round the 29 Munros of the Broxap Round. It was a magnificent trip and I had taken my SLR and another lens to capture it. I just need to sort through the 360 images now. Great conditions of rock hard neve, full moon and very little wind. It took me ages because I became very sleep deprived and there were some very awkward sections without proper crampons on bone hard neve. I spent 3 hours at Cam Ban bothy trying to recover and cook something, but I can't say I slept there - it was too cold. I did spontaneously fall asleep 8 times on the hill. Eventually I made it round in 61 hours, after going astray in the dark coming down Sgurr Fhuaran and having a bit of an epic in a gorge. Not sleeping much at all the night before, then missing another two nights sleep reduced me to a bit of a crawl in the second night, but the moon over the Saddle made it look like an Alpine giant.

I left some food on the A87 in Glen Shiel but apart from that went solo unsupported. With the camera gear and cooking stuff, the bag was heavier than I'd have liked, but I reckon it was worth it.

Its a bit of a monster - I reckon close on 75 miles and 34,800 feet of ascent. Memorable!
    Hats off... immense!
    Geoff Clarke

Nice one John.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

John, I don't know how you do it in those condition! Amazing feat, well done.

Nice one John, I'm expecting some stunning photos given the weather that week
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    Nice one John, I'm expecting some stunning photos given the weather that week
    I'm very hopeful I'll oblige. Tried some shots in the moonlight just resting the camera on a rock. I'll be interested to see how they come out. I've got a new camera (since 3 months ago). Its good but very heavy as there's a lot of metal in it and a huge wide angle. means I have to take a rucksack just to carry the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Moon Addict View Post
    Not sleeping much at all the night before, then missing another two nights sleep reduced me to a bit of a crawl in the second night
    Not surprised when two nights out's serious time on your feet, so agree with 'immense'!

Very very much looking forward to seeing these photos, sounds fantastic.
    pies

now uploaded photos and written an account on my blog. links to these are on the blog - http://longdistancechallenges.blogspot.co.uk

Seriously John...you're just not normal...

Well done mate another great trip.