Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scottish 4000s

Scottish 4000s

I'm thinking of doing the Scottish 4000s next year, a challenge I've been promising myself to do for years. The idea is to start at Fort William and do the Lochaber 4s and the cycle up to do the Cairgorm ones then bike back to FW. I know that Martin Stone used to organise a challenge event/race, anyone else done it or any ideas on logistics, distances etc. going to be fun planning methinks.

Re: Scottish 4000s

I'm thinking about an organising a trip for next year inc two nights in hostels. guided..any takers, still playing with figures

I took part on the Martin's last Scottish 4's Duathlon - a Cracking Event!!! There was even an option to descend at Nevis Range using a Mountain Bike down the then new Downhill MBK Course, which I did (pretty scary in parts:w00t, we had great weather that year, started early doors from the footbridge by Nevis YHA and finished at the Shelter Stone..

Also, did it by Bike & Foot (walking) with The Rucksack Club - again it was superb day (& night out) & next morning....we took it steady'ish .....and went the opposite way round, biking through the night before heading up the Ben & Co'..again we were fortunate to have good weather. It's also something of an RC "Standard" Walk, but not done that often...

I'll have a root and see what info I can find...
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..

I did it a couple of years ago and it's a good challenge to aim for - for me it was largely of the type 2 variety though so be warned!

We had a 4am start from Ben Nevis YH in mid-June and finished well into the dark hours after exceeding our 18-hour estimation by a few hours, but we were just happy to complete it. We also did it without a support car, the only real downside of which is the extra time required before and after for the kit drop (and pick-up) at the various locations.

We followed roughly what I think was the route used in the organised duathlon, so dropped the bikes at Auchlean and continued on foot all the way from there to the finish. Having done it that way, we reckoned afterwards it would have made more sense to cycle all the way round to the ski station and do the Cairngorm 4000ers from there - cycling back down the ski road to the finish. A less 'pure' route perhaps but probably faster.

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I'm thinking about an organising a trip for next year inc two nights in hostels. guided..any takers, still playing with figures
    I'd be interested in this Ian.
    Linda Murgatroyd, Calder Valley Fell Runners

Andy, the finish is the Norwegian Stone, opposite Glenmore SHYA. Fellhound & I assisted Martin on the 2 occasions that he organised the event (2001 & 2003 ), setting out the SI CP's on the Cairngorm summits then bivvying in the Lairig Ghru for a manned CP. IIRC the figures are something in the order of:- Lochaber tops 10 or maybe 12 miles, cycle 60 miles, Mhoine Mor & Cairngorm tops 21 miles, cycle 4 miles.

Mike Cudahey's book "Wild Trails to Far Horizons" includes a chapter on his and Inken's adventures on this route as a pure run. The "downside" of a pure foot journey is that the "4000s only" route passes so many magnificent lesser hills that you would want to detour to and include. I came through this way on a Scottish Coast2Coast (Stonehaven to Fort William) in May, 2000 and included Carn Dearg Mor (W side of Glen Feshie), Meall Chuaich (climbing out of Glen Tromie), The Fara and Ben Alder but there were so many other "Sirens" beckoning.
    According to how "steady" you are taking it there is an abundance of bothies - Lairig Leacach (W of Grey Corries), Culra (between Ben Alder & The Fara) and Ruigh aiteachain (Glen Feshie) - superb - and possibly the best YH in British Isles - Loch Ossian.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Luv Shack View Post
    I took part on the Martin's last Scottish 4's Duathlon - a Cracking Event!!! There was even an option to descend at Nevis Range using a Mountain Bike down the then new Downhill MBK Course, which I did (pretty scary in parts:w00t, we had great weather that year, started early doors from the footbridge by Nevis YHA and finished at the Shelter Stone..

Also, did it by Bike & Foot (walking) with The Rucksack Club - again it was superb day (& night out) & next morning....we took it steady'ish .....and went the opposite way round, biking through the night before heading up the Ben & Co'..again we were fortunate to have good weather. It's also something of an RC "Standard" Walk, but not done that often...

I'll have a root and see what info I can find...
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 22-10-2012 at 10:22 AM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Ian - I had a feeling you were there too!
    (as were a number of Rucksackers who assisted with the change-over)

Apologies for stone naming confusion....I do remember touching it in a very thankful fashion :wink:..

Guess what, the joys of the tin-ternet http://www.lamm.co.uk/scottish4000/2003/index.htm
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..

I had a stab at this when i ran for Carnethy and had to pack in in the gorms. It was very hot and the running between hills took its toll. Still had a great time, very well supported by my clubmates. I believe upwards of 12 people had done sub24 completions back then and would expect many more to have joined their ranks in the last decade. I'm less clear about successful winter attempts, but only the truly hardcore should go there especially if solo...All this bike stuff seems a bit odd...but extending it to include more tops would be awesome for those fit enough to manage it

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    That figure would need to be awful small for my wallet to open, not just cobwebs in my wallet, fossilized walsh's and all sorts!!

Sounds awesome though, any reccying?
    pies

Any write ups of this being done with push bikes?
    pies