Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Witton Park Trail Relays

Re: Witton Park Trail Relays

Following requests for a little more info, I'd like to direct you to the Blackburn Harriers Facebook page where I have posted maps and a brief route description.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlackburnHarriers?ref=hl

Here's a fuller description of the Senior 5K loop.

The Start / Finish of each leg is the Cross Country start which most will know. It is in the show field to the left of the access road which runs up towards Witton Pavillion from the main gates.
    You will be able to pitch club tents - there is an area to the left of the Pavillion.

From the start, the route heads west across the field keeping between the 2 trees and the cycle path for around 250m before peeling off to the right and crossing the path at the farm gate, following the trail up to the left of the farm gate for approx 400m to steps. Climb steps turn left at top and then almost immediately right, still climbing.
    This section continues to climb for around 800m passing through 2 gates until you arrive at the crossing of Under Billinge Lane (farm access road).
    Bearing slightly right, cross the road and head through the stone doorway climbing around 100m to a path crossroads.
    Turn left here and follow the path under a low branch and then climbing steeply as it turns to the right.
    At the top of this steep section as the path bears left and flattens out cross a very small stream and turn immediately right, continuing to climb.
    After around 250m the path flattens and take the left turn at a finger post bearing down hill on a gravel track for approx 100m to a path junction where you turn right and join a undulating section of trail for approx 700m ( a road and a few houses should be visible now on your left around 50 - 100m below you)
    At the end of this section turn left sharply down hill to an old Car Park.
    At the very bottom of the Car Park turn right along a path, passing a murky lagoon on the right before climbing gradually to a cross road of paths. Here turn right climbing steeply to a T junction where you turn left and continue to climb for around 400m before taking a left turn up to the Viewpoint.
    Bear right across the summit, passing the concrete platform and bench on your left and as the path starts to drop off the summit bear left and follow the twisty path through the trees which is flat for around 30m before it starts to descend.
    After around 100m take the right fork still descending and twisting then after about another 200m at T junction turn left climbing slightly to an undulating section.
    This is around 500m and towards the end it descends gradually to a T junction where you turn right.
    Now it is straight down around 500m to exit Billinge Woods on the left on to the road and turn left.
    After 20m take the right turn through the gate and cross the field to the gate, then bear slightly left across the field to the gate at the top of Big Cover Wood.
    Follow the gravel path down, descending the stepped section and cross the wood bridge at the bottom and turn right.
    Follow this track passing the adventure play area and then the carved birds to the road.
    Cross the road slightly right through the trees heading between the track and the pavillion and crossing the road to the handover point back a the start/finish area.

It is an extended version of the loop used for the World Mountain Running Trials held here a few years ago. In my opinion it's great terrain for racing and offers something for everyone.
    Fell runners will find some of the descending quite fast and technical and it is all off road except for the few road crossings. A mixture of dirt, gravel and woodland tracks.

Overtaking is fine for most of the route. Perhaps the most difficult section would be the first 500m after the summit where the path narrows a little. Passing a slow runner would be fine here, but trying to pass someone racing at close to your speed may be a little trickier.

The Junior Loop follows the same course except
    head through the stone doorway climbing around 100m to a path crossroads.
    Turn right here and follow the path descending for around 300m before leaving the woods on to the road and turn left.
    After 20m take the right turn through the gate

Hi Everyone - pre-entries are closing early next week. Anyone wanting to save a few quid, you will be Ok if you post Monday.

John Schofield has advised he's happy to still take postal entries up to Friday, so if you want to save a few bob, get it in the post quickly.
    See post 9 for the link.

You will be able to enter a team on the day and you will also be able to make substitutions if someone from your pre-entered team has had to withdraw.

We are now up to around 70 teams - about 50 seniors, so thanks for your support. It looks like being a good day and we already have a couple of hundred quid guaranteed to Mountain Rescue.

Just one point - if you don't know the area, please do not underestimate the terrain. Both senior and junior races are well inside the B Category threshold and if we didn't have the start/finish field we would be very close to A category.
    The route also may not be traditional fell, but it is all off-road on gravel and dirt.
    It is also quite technical, with twists, turns, tree roots, eroded sections and a tricky long flight of odd sized steps to come down.

With the wet weather this week, you will probably need fell shoes or very well treaded trail shoes.

The route will be well marked out and well marshalled.

VERY IMPORTANT
    There may be a requirement to carry full body cover including hat and gloves as well as a whistle. I will make the judgement on the day, so please come with it - I'm sure you all do anyway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQNu46ZtBcw

World mountain trials footage from the witton park, the same course for this weekends 3 person relays

looking forward to it. 3 teams entered going first class tomorrow in post
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by multi coloured View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQNu46ZtBcw

World mountain trials footage from the witton park, the same course for this weekends 3 person relays
    Not quite the same course - the same terrain. If anything this relay route around the woods at the top is a tougher one than the world trials.

Good footage though.

I did forget one other point.

PARKING.

The main car park at Witton has been out of action but was supposed to be finished and re-opened by now but I think the wet weather has hampered them - it is still closed and looks like some time off being ready.

2 good options.

Just above the main gates is an entrance next to a speed camera which takes you to the astro turf car park. That's OK for most and 300m to the start/finish area.

Also

200 metres above the main gates fork right on to Tower Road, 200 metres and turn right on to the Car Park. Cross Bridge and follow path round to pavillion (walking back up the start straight almost)
    This is 500 metres from the start/finish area.

Quote Originally Posted by Clash City Rocker View Post
    Storming. Will get that in the calender now. Just confirm for me is it age on day of race or 1st Jan. ;-)
    See you tomorrow Al?

I'll be there at 7:00am

Any forumites come and say hello please.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    See you tomorrow Al?

I'll be there at 7:00am

Any forumites come and say hello please.
    Dallam will be there with our 3 teams assuming my cheque arrived OK. will you be at registration?
    see you tomorrow
    Adrian

A splendid event for the juniors....a big thank you to Richard and Blackburn Harriers for organising the event, hopefully it will go from strength to strength each year.

Yes the Seniors!!

Well as an RO making his debut at a relays a few things to consider. Having said that the issues were mainly leg 1 so would have happened had it been a straight race.
    It seems that in a couple of points the tape was missed at junctions by a runner and of course then the pack mentality creeps in and a bunch follows the original errant athlete.

Anyway, we had a few "wrong routers" mainly on leg 1 and from my perspective I'll look to get some laminate signs for next time.
    A thank you as well to those that offered to support the event with some marshalls next time and also to a couple from Clayton, Ghary Whilkinson and John Roche that jumped in to help as well.

BUT
    Feedback has been excellent. Really pleased with the 80 teams in the senior race and we were chuffed to pass on £300 to Rossendale and Pendle Mountain Rescue after the event.

I'm putting my feet up for the night now, but I'll be back tomorrow to post results info etc.