Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: BGR June 2013

BGR June 2013

Hi there, I've been lurking on this thread for a while. I'm planning on attempting the BGR next June with my mate Old 'un on this forum. We've done a couple of Recce's so far this year (legs 1 & 2) and hope to get a couple more in before the end of the year, before really ramping it up in the New Year. When we'll both be looking forward to joining up with any planned recce's and offering to support attempts to get as much experience as possible. Any tips on training would be greatly appreciated - the hill reps have started, but there's now where round where we live (Hull) to really get some serious ascent in.

Cheers,

Bill

Super Moderator

Re: BGR June 2013

Good luck Arkel and Old 'un for next year. 'Climb, climb, then climb some more' is the best training advice I've ever heard

Some useful info on training here on 10,000ft-a-week thread
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Good luck Arkel and Old 'un for next year. 'Climb, climb, then climb some more' is the best training advice I've ever heard

Some useful info on training here on 10,000ft-a-week thread
    Agreed
    dont worry about miles worry about time out and climb

Quote Originally Posted by Arkel View Post
    Hi there, I've been lurking on this thread for a while. I'm planning on attempting the BGR next June with my mate Old 'un on this forum. We've done a couple of Recce's so far this year (legs 1 & 2) and hope to get a couple more in before the end of the year, before really ramping it up in the New Year. When we'll both be looking forward to joining up with any planned recce's and offering to support attempts to get as much experience as possible. Any tips on training would be greatly appreciated - the hill reps have started, but there's now where round where we live (Hull) to really get some serious ascent in.

Cheers,

Bill
    You won't get much flatter than where I live so I had to compromise on the hill rep malarky that and the awful winter we had at the time so it was stair reps, and lots of them. Suprising how well they work and it's better than nothing, no substitute for the real thing but nothing rarely is!

Cheers guys :-) That's what I'd heard, did quite a few hill reps in the summer (with a friend and colleague StuartL a sometime poster on these boards) and it's suprising what a difference it makes. We just don't have the rough terrain around here tho'. The plan is to start doing as much hill work this year then more running in the Lakes in the New Year. Good excuse to get out in the Lakes ;-)

Cheers emmilou, will probably use the stepper in the gym for a bit of variety on easy days. Just hope the weather's good enough to get out lots :-)

Good luck to both of you on your BG attempt in June. Feel free to join me on any recces or support on my attempt in May.
    I know its short notice but a few of us are having a run over leg 3 this Saturday so if you both would like to join us just let me know.

Mark

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Mark, I/we will I'm sure take you up on your offer :-). Can't make this weekend but there will be plenty more between now and our attempts.

Great stuff, also if you require any support on your attempt just give me shout.

Hi Mark, I/we will I'm sure take you up on your offer :-). Can't make this weekend but there will be plenty more between now and our attempts.

I'm going June 21st and started recces last Saturday (leg 4 with Simon Noble). From the way my legs feel still I've some serious climbing/descending training to put in:w00t: