Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: BGR June 2013

Super Moderator

Re: BGR June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by protodoc View Post
    I'm going June 21st and started recces last Saturday (leg 4 with Simon Noble). From the way my legs feel still I've some serious climbing/descending training to put in:w00t:
    Don't worry; leg 4 with a run out from Honister for a warm up is a serious undertaking if you're only just getting going. Try it again in April or May and see how you feel then :closed:
    Poacher turned game-keeper

We haven't even looked at leg 4 yet, planning to get fitter on legs 1&2 first; easier to do in a day esp now the days are shorter. Cheers for the offer of support Mark I'm sure we'll need a lot of support and be happy to give it.

One problem with sticking with legs 1 and 2, at the moment, is nature of the terrain they offer.
    Leg 4, starting at Honister, running over to Wasdale and then doing leg 4, takes about 6 and 1/2 hrs in total. With an early start there is enough time to do it anytime of the year provided you pay correct attention to the weather and ground conditions.
    If you find yourself running out of time one can always pick up the traversing trods round Kirkfell and the Gables.
    On the whole its terrain is different to legs 1 and 2 in that it's generally more rough underfoot.
    Don't leave it too late before heading over that way.
    Drop us a PM if you fancy some company on the fells.

Super Moderator

A good friend of mine (and one of the two people along with Bob, who talked me into having a go), suggested getting to Wasdale early on in your training and 'making peace with Yewbarrow'. I suspect most folk who get as far as Wasdale and don't 'get out of the chair' are put off by that climb. A few recces at leg four pace (50min-ish for mortals) will show you it doable even on unfit or tired legs. Leg four has to be the best 'mountain' leg of the round too :thumbup:
    Poacher turned game-keeper

hi guys , looks like bills gone and committed us then, i think were looking at june 15/16 as my 42nd is on the 17th so going with tradition. i/we are looking at the next few weeks getting some fitness back from a dip in training and as bill said earlier in december/new year looking at getting the recces going properly and meeting up with a few of you guys and girls and learning the route feel free to pm me or post it although it would have to be at a steady pace for the first couple of outings . mark id be happy to support you in may if you need me, ive committed to helping steve foster in may also but he hasnt set his date yet so provided they dont clash im all yours. ive also no plans in march/april yet so available if anyone is after support at a 23hr ish pace again feel free to pm me look forward to meeting up with you all over the coming months

Quote Originally Posted by old un View Post
    hi guys , looks like bills gone and committed us then, i think were looking at june 15/16 as my 42nd is on the 17th so going with tradition. i/we are looking at the next few weeks getting some fitness back from a dip in training and as bill said earlier in december/new year looking at getting the recces going properly and meeting up with a few of you guys and girls and learning the route feel free to pm me or post it although it would have to be at a steady pace for the first couple of outings . mark id be happy to support you in may if you need me, ive committed to helping steve foster in may also but he hasnt set his date yet so provided they dont clash im all yours. ive also no plans in march/april yet so available if anyone is after support at a 23hr ish pace again feel free to pm me look forward to meeting up with you all over the coming months
    Hi old un, if there isn't a clash of dates i would be glad of your support, just get in touch if your up for any recces as well

hi mark just contacted steve about it but then read some threads and saw hes gone for may31st so would love to support you on your round when you sort your schedule out just let me know were you want me although id did read on yours the words sub 20 hr !!!! is this true ours would be 23 hr aim and hope to finish so if youre recoverd and fancy a plod . would certainly be happy to meet and get some recces in over the coming months as i said earlier dec onwards id be up for some days out not sure how fast id be to start with though

may i also say were recruiting for support too as we havnt any as yet so if anyone wants to see a once in a lifetime event , me being quiet due to knackerdness and as anyone whos run with me will testify, this will probably be youre best bet i reckon

Quote Originally Posted by old un View Post
    hi mark just contacted steve about it but then read some threads and saw hes gone for may31st so would love to support you on your round when you sort your schedule out just let me know were you want me although id did read on yours the words sub 20 hr !!!! is this true ours would be 23 hr aim and hope to finish so if youre recoverd and fancy a plod . would certainly be happy to meet and get some recces in over the coming months as i said earlier dec onwards id be up for some days out not sure how fast id be to start with though
    Thanks old un great to have you on board, also would be only to glad to help you both out on your attempt. I will let you know regarding recces & when i have sorted out my schedule. Regarding a time for my BG Attempt, i am aiming for sub 24hr 23.59.59 so has one of my support team Andy Kirkup said to me when we were out on a recce last year anything faster is a bonus.

Hey that's the time we're aiming for Mark! Also happy to support your attempt in May, I'm sure we'll meet up before now and then. Like the blog by the way :-)