Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: BGR June 2013

Re: BGR June 2013

Cheers mark glad to have you on board also no doubt we will catch up soon

Quote Originally Posted by Arkel View Post
    Hey that's the time we're aiming for Mark! Also happy to support your attempt in May, I'm sure we'll meet up before now and then. Like the blog by the way :-)
    Cheers Arkel for the support & regarding the blog, will keep you posted.

Morning Campers,

This thread makes interesting reading. I'm from the scarp of the Cotswolds (hills have approx 100mm vertical height gain) and here's what I did to get me fitness up for my successful round in June.

I'd done a road half marathon in 93mins in late Oct 2010. I then forgot about running by accident until...

... early December when I committed to the BG. I realised that, living 4hrs away it was going to be time consuming and expensive (jungle juice) thing to have a go at so I needed to give it everything. I abandoned my climbing and mountain biking 'til the job was done. So, the training plan:

Dec '10 - did Leg 2 - was my first BG leg.
    After New Years I'd get up north every two weeks to do a leg, building up to two legs by Feb/March time. The 8 hour/two leg or Leg 3 out and back runs were really useful for helping sort out pacing, food, drink, nav etc as well as improving fitness.

I also did the round in 3 days in February. I started at Dunmail and ran Leg 3 to Wasdale (stayed at Burnthwaite Farm - ace) then did Legs 4 and 5 and stayed in Portinscale. Finally I did 1 and 2 back to the car. This was hard as there was calf deep snow all the way round, it was well misty and I was solo. I'd previously dropped clothes and tucker at each overnight stop. Did it in 23hrs summink missing out 4 tops as they were too dangerous to get to in the snow and ice.

Then, I kept up the 2 Leg days out.

At Easter hooked up with Martin Spooner and Brad Johnson to do the round in two days. We did Legs 3 and 4 of day 1 and then 5, 1 and 2 on day 2. My good lady crewed for us so we'd all get some experience of that.

More 2 leg runs followed.

June the 3rd - I managed to get round on my first attempt in 21:39 which was a complete shock - well stoked with it.

On the home front, I'd run a 6-12 mile hilly offroad run locally each Wed eve and weekend. I'd sometimes stretch the weekend run out to 15 - 20 miles.

The most important thing I did was hill reps on a local pointy thing called Cam Peak. It's a 10 minute jog away so a good warm up to get there. Then I'd do 7 laps; 2 1/2 mins or so up, 1 1/2 mins down and then 2 mins back to the start. This is what got me round the BG. A bit repetitive but and excellent way to get hill fitness quickly and effectively! My chosen hill is only 70m of height gain (quite steep mind, but enough).

I found that the main thing was to want it! Your head can carry you round most of it - worked for me.

And go just fast enough, but don't stop. I wasn't quick at all, be it up, along or down but I just kept going!

It's a brilliant thing to do, you'll meet great people and have incredible experiences along the way (some might even be fun) - good luck and hopefully I can get up there to help you out.

Andy K

hi andy thanks for the encouragement and really well done on your round, there seems a few similarities with your training and our planned training , our local hills are about the same on the wolds and was toying with the idea of backpacking it over 2 or 3 days in march/april also and we were looking at getting over to lakes every other week end too. were really looking forward to the training and build up as much as the day. would be great to meet you on the day if you have the oppotunity if not feel free to jump on the recces we post if you fancy a day out

Quote Originally Posted by AndyKirkup View Post
    I'm from the scarp of the Cotswolds (hills have approx 100mm vertical height gain)
    They're nearly as big as the hills round here!
    Do what you like, like what you do

Cheers Andy, that's really useful information, may even print your post out and stick it on the wall! There's really no way round those hill reps is there ;-) We're out running locally to find the best hills to do reps on this morning. AS old un states be great to meet up on any recces etc. Cheers, Bill

Morning Campers,

Glad to be of service! Regarding the hill reps, what I forgot to mention was that the whole thing'd only take about an hour once a week. It'd be a 10 min run out to warm up, then 7 x 6 minute ish laps (I'd run the up (offroad) at a brisk jog - not wanting to sprint and be completely boxed at the top as the BG ain't just a race to the top of the first summit), hoon it down the down (offroad) (which was steep) then my half marathon pace back along the road to the start of the up. So, that'd take 42 mins. This'd be followed by a 10 min warm down run home and I'd be back for tea and medals having been out for only an hour - winner.

Andy K

We had a good run out this morning about 11 miles and 2500' and found the hill that's going to do it for us. 70m ascent run the first half then hands on thighs walk for the second ;-). It was steep!

well they say it comes in three's and im the third im sorry to say , im having to pull out of my attempt for this year. ive had an injury thats devoloped into a hernia probably with over training and work.ive spoke to all invoved and would id like to say thanks for all the help and advice from everyone and was good to meet everyone ill be back in training when im sorted for another bash next year, the glass is half full and i get to spend longer on the route learning which im really enjoying and didnt realise how absorbing it would be and get to support a few more rounds. my good freind bill is still going so the attempt is still on and ill be there in support and will be playing a part in the rounds ive commited too. roy empty your inbox mate !!!
    regards
    simon

Simon

I am sorry to hear that, I hope you get well soon.

ATB

Tahr
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/