Re: BGR June 2013

A great well done to Bill.
    You had the right mindset.
    Option A , Do it in 24 hours
    Option B , Just Get it done
    No Option C,D,E....!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    I thought that was you Alan ..... I saw you getting changed by your car and nearly came over and said hello but wasn't sure. If you'd had your cap on I'd have recognised you

As Steve has already said, Elise was as brave as heck to battle on, but the weather got really ugly after Red Pike and she was wise to call it a day. The trek back to Honister wasn't funny for anyone, especially the torrential rain and hailstorm we had while skirting under Kirk Fell. She'll be back to fight another day I'm sure.
    It was i. I nearly came over to ask about how the round was going but you were all busy. Then Ian arrived back at the car after running from Greendale bridge, after a JNC leg 4 recce. Earlier in the day before we set off, we saw a group waiting for what I now assume was Bill (well done on getting around) and we both thought that if it rained it would be a tough day for us, let alone a BG atempt. The very cold strong wind on the tops, with warmth lower down when sheleterd is a tricky combo. Bad luck Elise, hopefully the weather will be a bit more settled for next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Adnan Khan View Post
    A great well done to Bill.
    You had the right mindset.
    Option A , Do it in 24 hours
    Option B , Just Get it done
    No Option C,D,E....!!!
    Well done Bill from a fellow member of the Option B club. I think we met at the Moot Hall about a month ago when I trundled in after my own 25+ hr tussle with the weather. Sounds like you experienced even worse. Hopefully, though like me you will take very many positives from the day, including no doubt fantastic road and fell support and there's always next month, year....the year after that.
    Last edited by Bob the Dog; 16-06-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Bill, that was an extreme effort of endurance. To be so far down at Wasdale I would have called it a day, myself. We went up Yewbarrow at a good lick (43 minutes), though, and I was quietly wondering whether whether we could make up the hour and a half but the conditions were not pleasant. To have taken a battering by the weather overnight on legs 1 - 3 and then carried on with what we endured, especially the high winds, knowing the 24 hrs was not achievable was admirable. Then, on the 'easy leg' leg 5 we got battered even more. I was wearing virtually full winter gear and could still feel it - biting hail and high winds over Robinson were immense. Have a rest, mate, you deserve it.
    I would just like to set the record straight on the tracker, though. It was in the top of my pack for leg 4 (I handed it to Adnan for leg 5) but I did not suddenly sprint down into the valley toward black sail MR from the pass before Great gable and then back up again to rejoin the group! Don't know what happened there! Apart from that the tracker trace resembled my own garmin trace. Because I had the tracker, though, I ensured I went everywhere Bill went eg out to Steeple etc. I did forget at Grey Knotts, though, and went round the lump while Bill and the others went to the top.

A huge Well Done to Bill on an heroic effort! :thumbup:

Commiserations to Elise on being so unlucky with the weather on Leg 4 - I have no doubts she'd've nailed it with even slightly better conditions
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run