Thread: Foot injury. Upping miles or..

Foot injury. Upping miles or..

...continuing to using shoes for more miles than advised?

First off, I wasn't 100% sure where to post this, as it concerns injuries and equipment. So if mods decide equipment forum is better, than move it at your leisure.

Right, as per title heading. Is this a myth that if you continue to use the same pair of shoes for longer than you should you invite injuries? Or is it safe to run shoes into the ground?

I ask, as after upping my mileage a month or so ago I have started to have a pains/aches along the outer edge of my left foot between the ankle and the little toe, as well as sometimes round the back of the ankle. Not really sure what it is as have not got round to googling it yet. Thing is, this has corresponded with my footwear (Roclite 295s) hitting 550ish miles*, which while the uppers have really seen better days, they tie up just about, and the lugs are not worn to a nub.

So this got me wondering, is my foot pain more likely the mileage being upped, the shoes getting old or just 'one of them things'? Just wondering whether, along with reducing my runs at the mo, I should dig my new Roclites out from under the bed and retire the current pair.

*Yes. I am also amazed.

p.s What's with the heading character limit?
    Last edited by barrierfreeman; 01-11-2012 at 08:04 PM.

Re: Foot injury. Upping miles

On what surface?

550 seems about the upper limit... its not the lugs its the support/compression provided by the sole unit. I always get achey when I hit the end of my trainers life...

When I get achey the first thing I do is look at my trainers mileage, anything over 400/450 and I'd buy new..

On what surface?
    Mostly grass/wooded trails with a bit of tarmac thrown in to link sections. The hardness of the trails depends on how much it's been pissing it down.

its not the lugs its the support/compression provided by the sole unit
    Interesting. Might be a good time to retire the 295s then, relegate them to dog walking duties and such like.

get some new shoes and see a physio regards your injury, i tend to have 2-pairs of shoes(fell) on the go at anyone time, road(2 pairs), trail normally one pair, i always check the shoes for wear and signs of problems.
    penguins happy feet :w00t: