Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 80k du Mont-Blanc 28 June 2013

Re: 80k du Mont-Blanc 28 June

Quote Originally Posted by Daveski View Post
    Hi guys ive entered the 80k. Ive a query regarding the medical certificate- do you use the one on the website and then upload it once your doctor fills it in
    That is what I did. I added an extra tick box with 80k next to it as the one on the website only has
    Marathon du Mont-Blanc (42km)
    Cross du Mont-Blanc (23km)
    10km du Mont-Blanc
    KM Vertical

I am not sure anyone looks at them as your entry gets a green tick as soon as it is uploaded but best get it right. There is a max upload file size.

I am pleased there will be some other entrants from the UK for the 80k. My club had 7 runners in the Cross this year (plus me in the marathon) but I could not find much enthusiasm for the 80k next year.

They have just posted a slightly different medical certificate on their facebook page (see link below and attachment) but I am sure the one on the website will be OK for the 80K as well.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Attachment 6488

there's still a lot of snow high up on the course so they have changed the route due to avalanche risk they say.

See below for the new route:

http://www.montblancmarathon.net/ima...13%20copie.pdf

Eirik

How did it go?

I was coming down from Lake Geneva on the GR5 from Wednesday to Sunday with the Mrs and we had lots of snow and some exciting Col crossings.

Thinking about this for next year, so your feedback would be good!

Morgan
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganW View Post
    Eirik

How did it go?

I was coming down from Lake Geneva on the GR5 from Wednesday to Sunday with the Mrs and we had lots of snow and some exciting Col crossings.

Thinking about this for next year, so your feedback would be good!

Morgan
    It was a great race Morgan. It was shortened to 78K but with 6000 meters of ascent/decent it got more ascent per mile than any of the UTMB races.

The first dowhill from Brevent to Plan pras was on hard packed snow but apart from that the snow wasn't much of a problem. The downhills was generally on narrow technical trail so it would favour good downhill runners.

I found the most enjoyable part of the race was the was the very technical 5k traverse from Lac Emeson to Lorias. Plenty of cables and wires to hold on to and some really nice scrambly bits on the stretch.

We touched down in the Chamonix valley 6 times before the finish so unlike the UTMB races it is a very supporter friendly route. There were plenty of food and drink stations and they really know how to organise these races. Plenty of marshalls/support and the marking of the route was superb.

Next year the 80K will be a sky running world championship race so I reckon it will be even better then.

I finished in 55th position after 14.5 hours and that was ok. About 150 of the 620 that started the race were timed out (max time 24 hours).

UTMB winner and Salomon runner FRANCOIS DHAENE won the race in 9 hour 46mins.

I ran the Mont Blanc marathon 36 hour after I finished the 80K and that was hard work so I reckon I'll just do the 80K next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Eirik The Viking View Post
    It was a great race Morgan. It was shortened to 78K but with 6000 meters of ascent/decent it got more ascent per mile than any of the UTMB races.

The first dowhill from Brevent to Plan pras was on hard packed snow but apart from that the snow wasn't much of a problem. The downhills was generally on narrow technical trail so it would favour good downhill runners.

I found the most enjoyable part of the race was the was the very technical 5k traverse from Lac Emeson to Lorias. Plenty of cables and wires to hold on to and some really nice scrambly bits on the stretch.

We touched down in the Chamonix valley 6 times before the finish so unlike the UTMB races it is a very supporter friendly route. There were plenty of food and drink stations and they really know how to organise these races. Plenty of marshalls/support and the marking of the route was superb.

Next year the 80K will be a sky running world championship race so I reckon it will be even better then.

I finished in 55th position after 14.5 hours and that was ok. About 150 of the 620 that started the race were timed out (max time 24 hours).

UTMB winner and Salomon runner FRANCOIS DHAENE won the race in 9 hour 46mins.

I ran the Mont Blanc marathon 36 hour after I finished the 80K and that was hard work so I reckon I'll just do the 80K next year.
    That's all good to know.

We spent a night at Refuge de Loriaz on the Tuesday night following the races. We had been intending to press on to Cabane des Vieux Emossons but decided the traverse with heavy sacs might be asking too much.

We were the only guests so had a cracking evening a good food and a great chat with the young lad who was hosting for the night.

The race sounds like a belter to me and a superb warm up for longer events planned later in the year.

Thanks for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganW View Post
    That's all good to know.

We spent a night at Refuge de Loriaz on the Tuesday night following the races. We had been intending to press on to Cabane des Vieux Emossons but decided the traverse with heavy sacs might be asking too much.

We were the only guests so had a cracking evening a good food and a great chat with the young lad who was hosting for the night.

The race sounds like a belter to me and a superb warm up for longer events planned later in the year.

Thanks for the update.
    See you at the start line for the 80K next year then Morgan!

Plenty of school groups stayed at Loriaz before and after the race so you picked a good day for your visit.

I was there 3 days before the race and the place was full.

Quote Originally Posted by Eirik The Viking View Post
    See you at the start line for the 80K next year then Morgan!

Plenty of school groups stayed at Loriaz before and after the race so you picked a good day for your visit.

I was there 3 days before the race and the place was full.
    Eirik

Timing is everything!

Hey folks, I've been looking at the website and toying with entering the Marathon (42k) for 2014. Does anyone have an idea what the cutoff is? I'd be aiming to just finish the event rather than be competitive in any sense.

Edit: Found it - 9hrs.
    Last edited by Vampire; 10-09-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Ok I'm thinking a bit more seriously about this since I raised it with the committee and she didn't immediately veto it.

For you guys who have done this event before, have you got any recommendations for accommodation in Chamonix? I'd be looking for the cheaper end of the spectrum and would prefer my own room, though would spend more if there's a specific hotel where all the runners tend to stay.

Also regarding getting there, I'm thinking of flying Bristol > Geneva then using someone like Alpy Bus which is about EUR19 each way.

I've had a look around on chamonix.net which has some great info, but would really appreciate personal recommendations from people who have been there and had a good experience.