Thread: More HR theory

More HR theory

I've started reading into this a little and I'm curious how to apply it to my current training regime.
    I do a fair few commuting miles on my bike (in the region of 120 a week) should this be all done in the aerobic zones to keep my body fresh for running? Also should the majority of my runs be aerobic with only the top 15% being in anaerobic zones? Or does this produce lots of junk miles?

Also does anyone have a half marathon training plan with zones on it?

I wait with a steady heart beat for answers.

Re: More HR theory

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I've started reading into this a little and I'm curious how to apply it to my current training regime.
    I do a fair few commuting miles on my bike (in the region of 120 a week) should this be all done in the aerobic zones to keep my body fresh for running? Also should the majority of my runs be aerobic with only the top 15% being in anaerobic zones? Or does this produce lots of junk miles?

Also does anyone have a half marathon training plan with zones on it?

I wait with a steady heart beat for answers.

Have you read Maffetone's book? Whilst I don't think there's any rigorous science behind his formula from the noise on US running forums, it does seem to work for a lot of people. The Formula is 180 - age and then you then add 5 if you are fit or subtract varying amounts if you are not too fit.

I tried it for three months and did notice an improvement in my mile per minute pace running at this "MAF" heart rate, I think that if I continued with it I could probably get to a 7.30 minute pace. But there is plenty of evidence that suggest speed work gets you running faster at a lower heart rate - it's just that you can't do as much speed work else your body will object.

So it seems to come down to lots and lots and lots of aerobic miles = more speed at lower heart rate, Or short intense workouts = more speed at lower heart rate.

So a sensible approach in my mind would be to do the majority of you miles aerobic and then perhaps 2-4 week blocks of speed work - maybe just before racing season - where you would dramatically reduce your mileage and increase your rest days.

BTW the other reason to run aerobically is it is thought that your body will switch to fat burning and you'll eventually run faster on stored fat. There is not a great amount of evidence to support this claim and typically most "low carb" athletes tend to take just as much carbohydrate during races as everyone else. Although from my own experiments I've managed to go out pre-breakfast and run with out supplement carbs for over 3 hours.

I say "run" but it's more of a plod, but it's very encouraging all the same. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Book-End...4951053&sr=1-1

I trained with a couple of Triathletes in the mid 90's who swore by HR training.

I have had good results in the past when following a 'Coach Benson' programme, he follows 4 phases, the first of which is 'endurance' where he suggests a weekly schedule of: 1 x LSD @ 60 - 75%, 4 easy runs of 65 - 75%, 1 x interval @ 75 - 80% and 1 x Tempo @ 75 - 80%

A review of one of his books: http://www.runtheplanet.com/resource...s/ref00029.asp
    Frequent but moderate workouts on a consistent basis are the key to success

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    I trained with a couple of Triathletes in the mid 90's who swore by HR training.

I have had good results in the past when following a 'Coach Benson' programme, he follows 4 phases, the first of which is 'endurance' where he suggests a weekly schedule of: 1 x LSD @ 60 - 75%, 4 easy runs of 65 - 75%, 1 x interval @ 75 - 80% and 1 x Tempo @ 75 - 80%

A review of one of his books: http://www.runtheplanet.com/resource...s/ref00029.asp
    I've just got a copy of Heart Rate Training by Roy Benson, seems to me to be much more rooted in real science than the Phil Mafetone book. I'm going to switch to this I think.

I also prefer a system that doesn't prescribe a heart rate formula and the book goes in to some depth to show why a "one size fits all" approach to working out heart rate via a formula is wrong.