Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steady Lakeland Runs

Steady Lakeland Runs

Hi there,

Me and my brother in law headed out for our first Lakeland run on Saturday. We chose Wainwright's Newlands Round as I was fairly familiar with the general layout and thought the navigation would be straight forward. I was right about that part, but what a day - spindrift all over Dale Head and pelted with ice on Hindscarth - we spent the whole time laughing at the craziness of running through it all, happy days!

We had a brilliant time, but didn't do as much running as we would have liked due to the steepness of some of the ascents (i suspect the general ground coniditons played a part too) i.e. Cat Bells and Dale Head in particular. Can anyone recommend other routes that are steadier but get you into the higher fells?

Cheers!

Re: Steady Lakeland Runs

Kentmere Round is great, very runnable

Banned

Fairfield

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Kentmere Round is great, very runnable
    Definitely. I think it's probably the easiest of the classic rounds in terms of terrain.

Fairfield over Saint Sunday Crag and back by Hartsop Above How from Deepdale Bridge/Bridgend is a great run too, though a little more off the beaten track (and with a bugger of steep, largely pathless ascent to start with!).
    Geoff Clarke

Thirlmere Loop (admittedly not high fell but beautiful)

Four Lakeland Passes (not high but long and gorgeous)

Fairfield Horseshoe (high and really runnable)

Coniston Old Man and Dow Crag (high runnable and quite short)
    Last edited by Stolly; 08-11-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Super Moderator

Some great suggestions above. Mosedale Horseshoe takes some beating for me for a mixture of good running, steep and rough ground and a general high mountain feel
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Thanks a lot for those! I like the sound of Fairfield Horseshoe as it is quite quick for us to get to (i'm normally based in Cockermouth when I head up to the lakes). I absolutely love Kentmere but it's a bit of a trek from West Cumbria so I might knock that one off on a day hit from the peak district. I'll definitely check out the other suggestion to. I may be asking santa for one of those Garmin watches..!

If you go from Seathwaite (the Borrowdale one, so easy for you to get to), you can get up to Esk Hause via Sty Head Tarn on ground that is all runnable, though some sections are a bit steep. From there there's loads of options - the Scafell group (some tough going underfoot up there though), back over Allen Crags/Glaramara or via the Borrowdale race route in reverse, Bowfell, or just carry on to Angle Tarn and back down Langstrath for a dip in Blackmoss Pot if it's a warm day.

Another fave of mine is to go from Stonethwaite up Langstrath, up Stake Pass onto Martcrag Moor (which is a bit steep but not as bad as it used to be since the 'slalom' path has been put in), then up to High Raise (off-piste but easy enough), then either back via Sergeant and Eagle Crags, or on to Ullscarf, Blea Tarn and Watendlath. Sometimes I get the bus from Keswick to Stonethwaite and then go all the way back to Keswick along the ridge (High Tove/High seat/Bleaberry Fell) - mostly runnable but a bit boggy in places.

Other thoughts - you can get up onto the Hellvellyn ridge (Great Dodd) via a reasonably steady path from High Row above Dockray, and the High Street ridge from Pooley Bridge is good for a nice steady ascent (park at Roehead just to the east of PB).

I could go on about this all day!

Master

Blacky

You were probably doing OK. Most fell runs and araces will have tough walking sections which vary depending on your strength and ability, but in the lakes once you get 'up there' there are usually good long runable sections. Another thought for near you is the Northern Fells which once you are up you can link many summits.

Quote Originally Posted by Trimm Trab View Post
    I.... the High Street ridge from Pooley Bridge is good for a nice steady ascent (park at Roehead just to the east of PB).....
    Thats a great run all the way to High Street, although you gain a reasonable amount of height its all steady with flat sections and descents spread out along the way so all runnable. Top tip is to go over Loadpot, not round it as the main track suggests. About 10 miles from Roehead to High Street, so 20 for the round trip out and back but you can vary it by dropping down past Angle Tarn to Ullswater, get the bus back from Patterdale or run the lakeshore path.