Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Achilles injury advice please

Achilles injury advice please

Hi there

I am hoping someone can give me a bit advice on very annoying Achilles injury I have picked up.

Thinking back I have had a bit of a stiff Acchilles in my right foot for a few months now but stupidly I just thought it was one of them things. It didn't affect my running at all and it felt very minor so didn't pay it much heed. Ran Dunnerdale a few weeks ago and felt fine but picked up a bit of a cold so took a few days off. Ran at lunchtime on the following Wednesday, couple of hours on bike in the evening then started for a lunchtime run on the Thursday and had to pull up. Haven't run since so about three weeks off since.

Doing my usual self diagnosis on the internet it seems that it is Achilles tendionitis. The pain is worse when I push of, as if on the front of the foot and running up hill. The actual tendon does not feel sore but the side of the ankle does if I try to massage it - the bony bit that sticks out and then the tendon (?) up from that. I have been cycling a bit to keep sane and I can feel it a bit sore when out the saddle and pushing down on the pedals. I feel like I am a bit off running yet as it would be too sore. It is stiff and sore when I get out of bed.

I have some suspicion on what may have caused it. More road running since te clocks changed, started to run at lunchtime as well as evening but only 4m steady. Also, very lax on stretching after runs which I am annoyed with myself for.

So what have I been doing? Stretching the calf with hands against the wall and injured foot out back but with knee bent. This feels sore until I stretch it a few times then it seems to loosen up. Also heel drops though this does feel sore and I don't do too many for fear of making things worse. I have been to physio who recommended these stretches but to be honest I'm not sure she deals much with runners.

So my question is would you agree that it is achilles tendonists? If so how have you or anyone got rid of this in the past? Any other stretches I can do? How long did it take you? Any information would be appreciated as starting to go a bit loopy now with the lack of running, or so my wife tells me!

Thanks for any advice

Re: Achilles injury advice ple

Sounds very similar to what I had a couple of years back, a sickening pain when setting off which I could semi run off after a couple of pretty miserable miles (I sometimes just turned round after a couple of hundred metres and went home), to be honest I did what you have been doing, i.e. calf/hamstring stretches, and heel drops, I also went to running every 2 days rather than daily and although this is hard I kept off the hills, I think mine was set off and aggravated by a pair of shoes with quite a high Achilles support so ran in a pair of New Balance trail shoes which were lower at the back, and a definite piece of advice don't massage or rub it as I found it makes it worse, hope this helps and hope it clears up soon as I know how painful it is, mine still gives me the occasional 'warning' and I tend to just back off for a couple of days and make sure I run off road.

Super Moderator

Some advice on a similar thread here
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Yes sounds very similar to what I have. I forgot to add, the runs I have been doing at lunchtime had been with supported shoes and I'm not sure I actually sure I need so much support as they give ( got them for free!). I think I'll stop using the now for sure and maybe go back t my inov8s. I'll stay away from the massaging. Keep stretching and keep optimistic!!Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Some advice on a similar thread here
    Thanks, very useful. A bit scary but useful!!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by helfa View Post
    Thanks, very useful. A bit scary but useful!!
    Good luck helfa. I'm prone to Achilles tendonitis but have cleared it up several times with the eccentric exercises. Just make sure you do plenty and do them regularly
    Poacher turned game-keeper

You might might find this useful as well. I've had similar issues this past year. Also have been doing loads of back twisting exercises. But this has helped loads.

http://919clinic.co.uk/exercise_video.aspx?v=9

I have had this several times also plantinitis what caused mine insoles and support shoes when got told i needed them and i did,nt other than the exercises that have been mentioned try raising feet when relaxing on sofa if you get chance and also ice bucket literally feet in mine goes within 2 month but i dont stop sessions just plenty of lbuprofen and a lot of swearing

I had a similar problem with my Achilles about this time last year. Tried all the usual stretching advice that everyone gives but as each week went past it got worse and worse with every run, eventually in order for it to repair I had to knock running on the head, never ran for 3 months, I know its not the answer you want to hear but it was the only way for me, When I started running again I just started slowly and every other day, gradually increasing mileage, i'd get the odd twinge but nothing really and thankfully its been fine since. After 3 months of no running I was just glad to get back out there again, no matter how slow, its made me appreciate running, never realised how much I'd miss not been able to run, killed me.

Quote Originally Posted by helfa View Post
    Hi there

So what have I been doing? Stretching the calf with hands against the wall and injured foot out back but with knee bent. This feels sore until I stretch it a few times then it seems to loosen up. Also heel drops though this does feel sore and I don't do too many for fear of making things worse. I have been to physio who recommended these stretches but to be honest I'm not sure she deals much with runners.
    I hope you are seeing some improvement? If not, have you had any treatment to diagnose and treat?

Also, just a thought, are you stretching with bent and straight knee? if not, read this to see why you should be... http://globaltherapies.wordpress.com...alf-stretches/

and drop us a line if you've any questions, we're happy to help.
    Lynne