Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grindleford Gallop 2013

Grindleford Gallop 21

Anyone had a run at this before?

21 miles round Grindleford, Bakewell and Chatsworth with world-class flapjacks!

Sat 8th March.

Re: Grindleford Gallop 21

Aye i did it 2 years ago mate. Pretty route. Reasonable amount of climbs. Don't forget to leave a bit for getting onto the edges when u get to Baslow. The descent thru the wood at the end is a bit slippy and route wasn't too well marked , although it said it would be. Good nosh at end. Parking a bit of a mare so get there early. Friendly and good reception at the end.

Grindleford Gallop

Anyone on here registered for Grindleford Gallop on Saturday? It's 3 years since I last did it but I recall it to be a very runner-friendly event, and they seem to have gone all professional now, with SPORTident timing. It's full, by the way.

Re: Grindleford Gallop

I'm doing the HPM but for those interested the GG is now Full , no EOD!

I was really looking forward to this event, got a place and now have to stay in Belfast for the weekend..so if anyone wants my number, shout

I'll be running. I lived round there as a kid so it'll be nice to be back.

Haven't done the race before though. The route description implies some nav but also recommends a route. Is there much choice or is it mostly marked?

I did this for the first time last year and im turning out again this Sat. Probably wise (as always) to carry a map, plus their route description - but last year I found that there was a constant supply of walkers/runners all the way around the course, showing you the way. The other thing I remember is a great pile of custard creams at the Bakewell bookshop check point.
    Its a good day out and a great route - very runnable.
    I can also remember the state my legs were in by Froggat edge

i'm doing this for the first time on saturday

looking forward to the custard creams etc
    Hard Work, Hard Training and Suffering...Race Easy

Quote Originally Posted by marty mcfly View Post
    Haven't done the race before though. The route description implies some nav but also recommends a route. Is there much choice or is it mostly marked?
    It's not marked. In theory there are massive shortcuts you could take way off the route, in practice everyone follows the recommended route almost to the letter. If you're following the recommended route there are only a couple of small choices I can think of.

Navigation is pretty easy, there are long trails, the route description is good, and as a runner you'll have plenty of walkers lined out over Longstone Moor to help out.

Just remember to come off the Monsal Trail, and make sure you don't miss a dibber point as the organiser said last year he'd disqualify anyone who missed one.

The first part has a few gates/squeeze stiles, a quick start will avoid queues, but you'll suffer more on the first climb out of Froggatt over to Eyam.

good race yesterday, a little hard underfoot (could be down to shoe choice on the day), and even the rain held off

excellent soup with cheese and bread and a nice square of date (?) cake with sweet coffee

my only gripe is with the fellow runner who was moaning that he didn't have enough soup put into his bowl after paying such a high entry fee...considering all the money the organisers would have made..etc etc YAWN YAWN

i mean come on they would have wanted the soup eating for them next

apart from that...Brill...highly recommended.
    Hard Work, Hard Training and Suffering...Race Easy