Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travelling to Silent Valley

Travelling to Silent Valley

I want to make the voyage across the wide open seas to Northern Ireland for the NI leg of the British Champs. My girlfriend wants to come with me, so the plan is to make a weekend of it. Travel across from Lancashire on the Friday, race Saturday, come home Sunday.

Any advice on whats the best way to make the trip across?

• I looked at the ferry from Holyhead to Dublin and driving up - Very expensive
    • Ferry from Birkenhead to Belfast - Very expensive
    • Didnt look at Stranraer - Belfast yet.
    • I like the idea of the ferry as Id obviously have my car then, and can travel around easily.

All with Stena line ferrys - could be worth looking for other ferry companies but thought Id ask here first as I dont know any other ferry companies.

Just done a quick quote on Easyjet - and flights from Liverpool to Belfast are very good. But then Id have the issue of getting from Belfast to Newcastle to a B&B (Camping is a no-bo), Newcastle to the race. Race back to Newcastle, and then Newcastle back to Belfast.

In an ideal world Id travel across, stay the night in Newcastle on Friday, and then stay on Saturday night in which ever city I land in - be in Belfast or Dublin.

THOUGHTS AND ADVICE PLEASE.

Banned

Re: Travelling to Silent Valle

Easyjet from liverpool to Belfast (£23 each way last year)
    Car share (hire car) or bus to Necastle
    B & B in town
    One of the best nights in the Calendar.

Flew Manchester to Dublin last week with Aerlingus on business, must admit I'm a nervous flier but I have heard the Irish Sea can be a 'mare at this time of year, flight was great, climb for 12 mins and then down again, only a reasonably short drive from Dublin to Newcastle, even shorter from Belfast, depending on your 'sea legs' it may be better to fly as seasickness could knock the running right off, flights worked out cheaper for 3 of us, sailed from Stranraer a few years ago, not the easiest place to get to. Hope this helps

I'm quitting while I am ahead. Last time I ran there I won a prize!
    :thumbup:

http://born2runevents.com/wp-content...izewinners.pdf

Silent Valley Dambusters 10K

I've done both sea and air. I went over on the ferry to Belfast when transporting a company vehicle over (so I didn't pay) and it was ok, but the sea was a little dodgy and I didn't sleep well (or at all really) partly because the bed was vibrating with the engine noise so I couldn't relax. I spent most of the night on the deck watching the sea.

*edit - although it sounds like I'm moaning, I actually enjoyed the ferry but it did leave me tired is all.

I then flew over to Belfast for a friends wedding in Killyleagh and found that the better option (with Leeds Bradford airport about 2 miles from my house) because the flight is hardly any time at all and it worked out a lot cheaper to fly and hire a car from the airport for a couple of days.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    I want to make the voyage across the wide open seas to Northern Ireland for the NI leg of the British Champs. My girlfriend wants to come with me, so the plan is to make a weekend of it. Travel across from Lancashire on the Friday, race Saturday, come home Sunday.

Any advice on whats the best way to make the trip across?

• I looked at the ferry from Holyhead to Dublin and driving up - Very expensive
    • Ferry from Birkenhead to Belfast - Very expensive
    • Didnt look at Stranraer - Belfast yet.
    • I like the idea of the ferry as Id obviously have my car then, and can travel around easily.

All with Stena line ferrys - could be worth looking for other ferry companies but thought Id ask here first as I dont know any other ferry companies.

Just done a quick quote on Easyjet - and flights from Liverpool to Belfast are very good. But then Id have the issue of getting from Belfast to Newcastle to a B&B (Camping is a no-bo), Newcastle to the race. Race back to Newcastle, and then Newcastle back to Belfast.

In an ideal world Id travel across, stay the night in Newcastle on Friday, and then stay on Saturday night in which ever city I land in - be in Belfast or Dublin.

THOUGHTS AND ADVICE PLEASE.
    I'd stay saturday in Newcastle... its great fun with all the fell runners.. but hardly romantic...

It may be cheapest to fly and hire.... unless you can get a car share with people to split the car cost 4 ways... again hits the romance issue..

Yes i agree-- fly and car hire, cheaper, and stay away from the boat- the vomit comet is not the makings of a romantic weekend away, though as Iain says, neither is sat night in Newcastle!

Al have sent you a text???
    We have booked flights for the fri and hire car, its an EOD your welcome to a lift to Newcastle but we are staying a few days to have a walk or two, so find your own way back.
    its cost us £250 for flights, bags and car hire. we were working their last week and the ferry alone was £350 so its easy is their a party on the Sat??? hmmmm beer
    Going to try again....

Quote Originally Posted by Amex View Post
    Al have sent you a text???
    We have booked flights for the fri and hire car, its an EOD your welcome to a lift to Newcastle but we are staying a few days to have a walk or two, so find your own way back.
    its cost us £250 for flights, bags and car hire. we were working their last week and the ferry alone was £350 so its easy is their a party on the Sat??? hmmmm beer
    Aye there is always a do.. nothing official for the evening.. starts with meal and presentation which normally finishes mid evening and then the pub is like a tardis with different floors being totally different.. so something for everyone..

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Aye there is always a do.. nothing official for the evening.. starts with meal and presentation which normally finishes mid evening and then the pub is like a tardis with different floors being totally different.. so something for everyone..
    Sounds good, Iain where is the pub in Newcastle or KilKeel, If Newcastle chance to nip back to hotel SSS then have a bite then off to Pub! to chat tactics and kit of course ---- safe journey back from States pal
    Going to try again....