Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 week training rota

Re: 3 week training rota

I'm not training for a BG or an ultra so I'm not drastically worried about progression. I want a stable training routine that I can adapt to various distances. the progression will come from measuring how hard/far/fast I do my quality work and whether it improves.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Re: 3 week training rota

Hi Nigel

I will give a bit more detail so you can have a better angle on what I am doing,

Every weekend I have a long day on the hill, every other weekend will be reccie of one leg of the BG building up to two legs then three legs with a final full route MM style over two days. Nearer the date I will be doing back to back big days. So that is my weekend program.

As said I work a 3 week roster, part of the problem is my commuting is 3 hours a day minimum, on one of the 3 shifts, my mid-morning start I can catch the train to work which saves on fuel, it is 10 mile to the railway station so on this week I run to the railway station with a rucksack weighing about 5-10kg, at the minute I run this twice a week then a long hill run at the weekend, although I have been doing 10k ish club races in the morning then doing a 3 hour or so hill run in the afternoon. I guess at the minute I am doing at least 50 miles on this week but will work up to 80 plus.

The next shift I work is back shift I have to leave my house at 12:30, this gives me time to get in a 7-8 mile hill run on Tuesday and Thursday morning, on the Friday I can catch the train so that is 20 miles on the road, if I do the long hill run on the Saturday that gives me two hard days back to back.So that gives me 45 plus depending on how big a run I do at the weekend

The next week is my morning week so I finish work early, we have club training nights on Tuesday and Thursday which is normally reps, speedwork, or hill reps on Tuesday, on Thursday it is a 10km tempo run, I like toget to these nights to catch up with club mates etc. So this week is 25ish miles, I have been known to get a 5 miler in before the club session though, so I could add this in again.

One thought is if I `extra weight to my rucksack which I use for the work will the weight build strength in a similar way to hills?

Conditioning work? Gym? Circuit training?

Any advice is most welcome.

Sorry Bob if this is hijacking or taking your thread in the wrong direction.

ATB

Tahr
    Last edited by Tahr; 28-12-2012 at 05:54 PM.
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/