Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Rounds - Tactics

Re: Mountain Rounds - Tactics

Yep that was me! They had got separated from us and ended up going round Blencathra to Threlkeld, but we didn't know that... amazing how quickly it all happened and a bit worrying at the time.

I might just take this opportunity to thank all those who contribute to the variety of BG/PB threads. They are an invaluable source of information and motivation. I'm starting my BG round this friday with a huge amount of support presence from Calder Valley. I will have a rope on BS and I have also given permission to be beaten with nettles if I don't seem to be working hard enough. Questionable ethics but should get me around!
    Good luck Ben tell your support that the best thing they can do is not tell you times and keep you guessing as to how your doing on the last few legs, you can't slow down then if your doing ok and if your feeling bad it won't get you down

Bill

Good luck Ben and I hope you get better weather than I did.

It's a source of debate re knowing your times/progress. I'm the obsessive type who memorised all the summit to summit splits and monitored progress each time. It helped me, esp as i was well up after 2 legs. It was good knowing time was in the bank when the bad weather came. We're all different - do it your way and have a great day.

ST

Master

Good luck Ben

As to the ongoing Debate i am a traditionalist and when i undertake a challenge i prefer to try and adhere to the original Ethos as near as possible.

That said there are plenty of new challenges where the use of modern equipment would of course be be ok

But to be honest as long as what another party does has no affect on others enjoyment then it`s fine by me.

A case of `whatever floats your boat` i guess
    The older I get the Faster I was

All I can say is - if I find any reflective tape when I'm out in the hills it's coming home with me like any other litter I find. If you put out this sort of thing then I'm sorry but you've completely lost the plot.

Have a good one Ben and don't forget to drink.
    ian

[quote=Joe;49874]All I can say is - if I find any reflective tape when I'm out in the hills it's coming home with me like any other litter I find. If you put out this sort of thing then I'm sorry but you've completely lost the plot.[/quote

trouble is the tape's on high poles! You may not want to trek round the hills with 6 foot poles.

I went Poland once: fantastic bunch of people.
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...

No experience of this sort of thing at all but I can see no prob with ropes being used as a safety aid on dangerous sections although hauling yourself up them or making use of ladders seems to be pushing things a bit far if the aim is to complete a stated challenge rather than just get up something for your own enjoyment. The first priority should be to stay alive! GPS - no prob with that really either. its essentially an evolution of map and compass but don't forget that the quality of maps available has changed over the years (for better or worse!) and it may be easier (or harder!) to navigate using modern maps.
    In any case I admire the physical and mental capabilities of anyone who complete one of these rounds. At the end of the day you are out on difficult ground for a hell of a long time and that deserves respect in anyone's book!
    Leeds City AC: "Pure Sporting Delight"

Just come to this thread late myself, sorry about that as it is a really interesting one. In 2000 Charlie Campbell of Westerlands did all the Munros in 48.5 days, running, cycling and swimming between them, but having support boats and vans and food parcels. I think this is inspirational! For me the least support possible is the ideal, but we all have to decide where that line lies, as it is a personal struggle/ joy to be running in the hills, however sociable we might be.

Jason
    Is it meant to be this hard?