Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Rounds - Tactics

Re: Mountain Rounds - Tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Trossachs! View Post
    Just come to this thread late myself, sorry about that as it is a really interesting one. In 2000 Charlie Campbell of Westerlands did all the Munros in 48.5 days, running, cycling and swimming between them, but having support boats and vans and food parcels. I think this is inspirational! For me the least support possible is the ideal, but we all have to decide where that line lies, as it is a personal struggle/ joy to be running in the hills, however sociable we might be.

Jason
    And he was injured for a good few days (4 or 5 days?) early on, suprised no ones had a crack at that to reduce it, with him taking that time off it must be beatable. Hard to get time off work though even harder to stay injury free yourself for 45 continual days in the highlands.. Some effort.

Fellhound

Quote Originally Posted by macc ladd View Post
    I don't think there is any problem at all! Of course, you can try and manufacture a problem if that is your wish.....
    And likewise, there's no problem with ANYTHING if you don't want there to be.. I understand that my view on the BG club is bound to rankle with some people (members or aspiring members of the club for instance) but the point was well made.

Well you could argue that there is a problem with the marathon, because it doesn't exactly model the original run in Greece. Oh, and you have to drop dead at the end too I believe!

The BG club membership rules are well defined - there is no dispute over the 42 peaks, start/finish location, the time limit of 24 hours and the fact it has to be witnessed. I still can't see a problem unless somehow you want to change the rules?

Not change the rules, may be just have a preferred style. I'd hate to see the use of aiding ropes/ladders/paint etc. This is the British hills, OK conditions are not always conducive to a good run so hard look, that's part of the challenge. But my view is BGR's et al. are about challenging the mountain and yes sometimes the mountain wins and gives you a kick up the arse and you go home and learn from your mistakes, IMO you don't go home and come back with weaponry to overcome your nemesis.

I do feel marking the environment is the start of a long slippery slope.

As a climber I've opted to retreat once or twice when caught in blizzards or darkness on winter routes and been forced to leave gear, I don't like doing this but am happy that I know the gear will be salvaged by another climb soon, but I do as much as possible to leave nothing but footprints on the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by jmacewan View Post
    I'd have to agree that the use of ladders and paint markings is just not right!

Especially paint markings, the hills are just not the place for them. My wee local hill(Dumyat)was marred for years by marker arrows which I believe were placed by either Hash House Harriers or organisers of a triathlon training camp at Stirling Uni.

As far as a GPS goes, while I wouldn't use one myself, wouldn't have a problem with that.

No problems at all with any other piece of equipment that the person doing the round is carrying with them I think.
    I completely agree but I doubt permanent markers would have been left by hashers as the hare generally uses flour that washes away with the first shower of rain- often before the rest of the hash have had a chance to go out on the trail. They are unlikely to leave anything permanent as they tend to revisit areas and want a mystery trail to search out each time.

IMO you don't go home and come back with weaponry to overcome your nemesis.
    Climbing ethics are another story... but I bet you have more "friends" (cams) etc and your rack is bigger as you get older!

I remember climbing in the 70's with hexes and wedges, and only a few of each at that. We gave the climbs a chance in those days.

When I "retired" from climbing my rack consisted of a full set of flexible friends, two sets of wires, and some nice big hexes (for hitting seagulls at Pembroke..). No wonder I couldn't get off the ground any more...

Sadly true. :-)

Apart from all my friends got stolen when I moved back from NZ so now back to a more traditional rack of nuts and hexes.

Fellhound

Quote Originally Posted by macc ladd View Post
    Well you could argue that there is a problem with the marathon, because it doesn't exactly model the original run in Greece. Oh, and you have to drop dead at the end too I believe!

The BG club membership rules are well defined - there is no dispute over the 42 peaks, start/finish location, the time limit of 24 hours and the fact it has to be witnessed. I still can't see a problem unless somehow you want to change the rules?
    Point well and truly missed...

I have no problem with the BG club existing, or with it's rules for membership but I don't understand why everyone sees membership as the main goal when they attempt the BG. The BG club allows you to deviate from BG's original round in some ways but is rigid about others - for example the actual 42 peaks, which differ from what is widely believed to be BG's original 42. I could try to emulate BG's original round as closely as possible but wouldn't then be eligible for membership, or I could do my own interpretation, solo or whatever but still wouldn't be eligible for membership. Just as well I'm not interested in membership then innit?

The problem with the BG club is it is an anachronism and completely at odds with the whole ethos of these kind of challenges.

Do your own BG and forget the club, that's what I say...
    Last edited by Fellhound; 07-07-2007 at 11:38 AM.

I doubt permanent markers would have been left by hashers
    I did a bit of asking about and it was confirmed that the markings were placed for a run up Dumyat that was part of a Hash House Harrier's camp which took place at the ground of Stirling County Rugby club. A friend got hold of one of the programs for the camp in which it states that the route up Dumyat will be marked by fluorescent paint!

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler View Post
    Point well and truly missed...

I have no problem with the BG club existing, or with it's rules for membership but I don't understand why everyone sees membership as the main goal when they attempt the BG. The BG club allows you to deviate from BG's original round in some ways but is rigid about others - for example the actual 42 peaks, which differ from what is widely believed to be BG's original 42. I could try to emulate BG's original round as closely as possible but wouldn't then be eligible for membership, or I could do my own interpretation, solo or whatever but still wouldn't be eligible for membership. Just as well I'm not interested in membership then innit?

The problem with the BG club is it is an anachronism and completely at odds with the whole ethos of these kind of challenges.

Do your own BG and forget the club, that's what I say...
    Not sure if I understand your problem with the BG "club". If you don't like it, don't join it. However there seems to be a significant group of people that want to achieve the round and to be able to go to the dinner, get the certificate map etc. People do these things for different reasons. Some do it because it is a recognised right of passage for fell runners into a relatively exclusive club. It gives a sense of belonging to a community. Some will enjoy boasting about it and there is a chance other people will know what they are talking about. That's normal.

If you want to define your own round, a variation on the theme etc. Fine, if it is worthy of some accolade you will get some recognition in the fell running community. If you just want to do it and keep the fact to yourself, fine. I understand the desire not to follow the crowds, but it is a less "social" route.