Thread: Skyrunner Series

Fellhound

Skyrunner Series

I was just looking at the Skyrunner website and it seems there have been some changes since I last looked (I did the Dolomite Sky Race in 2006 or 7..). The FSA (Federation for Sport at Altitude) seems to have become the ISF (International Skyrunning Federation) and there now seems to be three distinct disciplines: 'Vertical' - lung-bursting short uphill races, the 'Euro Skyrunning Champs' and the 'Skyrunner World Series'. The latter is the name I remember but now I see that this has been almost totally given over to "ultramarathons" of 40k upwards. :thunbdown:

When I look at the Euro series there is only one race that fits my personal preferences - the good old Dolomite Sky Race (22km/1750m).

So, what's happened to all the medium distance European sky races?? I was a big fan of the 'old' Skyrunner series as the races were a good mix, including distances you can properly race over, and the courses were suitably gnarly (like British fell races) rather than the sanitised track running offered by the WMRA. I'm a little disappointed in this as I have little interest in "racing" over huge distances and most of the races now seem to be in that category... pandering to the "longer must be tougher/more worthwhile" mentality. :-(

Re: Skyrunner Series

Hello, the medium races are still in existence they are just no longer being held under the banner of the Skyrunner World Series'. If you want to race in the Valais (Switzerland) or in France we could probably help you find some fantastic races which are more than likely going to be better than the ones that were run as part of the Skyrunner Series.

Regards

Debbie
    www.pyrenees-haven.com
    'adventure is just a step away'

Fellhound

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrenees Haven View Post
    Hello, the medium races are still in existence they are just no longer being held under the banner of the Skyrunner World Series'. If you want to race in the Valais (Switzerland) or in France we could probably help you find some fantastic races which are more than likely going to be better than the ones that were run as part of the Skyrunner Series.

Regards

Debbie
    www.pyrenees-haven.com
    Thanks Debbie, I may get back to you... It seems a shame that there isn't a single list of races in France, Italy or wherever as there is in Britain with the excellent FRA calendar. Our races are excellent, and accessible to all - I'm amazed we don't see more continental runners entering our races... it must be the weather!

Hi Fellhound ~ if you'd looked a year ago, the SWS & related series would have looked a little more familiar, but they have totally succumbed to the distance obsession this year! In fact the SWS now encompasses three separate series (Vertical K, SkyRace of 22-50km ~ almost all marathon+ this year ~ and Ultras). And the Dolomites is a stand-alone European Championships with one of each.

I did run the Vertical K at the Dolomites last year, expecting some lovely steep & hard ground to run up, which would have suited me well. Instead, it was more like a sand dune, and you get to enjoy other people sticking ski-poles in your face. I won't be doing that again!

The Valetudo (big pile-up of translated words) Series http://www.mnric.com/index.htm includes some races more like fell-running. (Not yet updated for 2013). Last year would have been the perfect time to get a head-start with Coledale on the list. It's a little less commercial than SkyRunning, but even so the top meditteranean athletes would find it expensive travelling over here to race in the cold and not win much prize money! As you'll see if you read the Coledale report on their website, they did not expect The Lakes at 800m altitude to be akin to 2000m in the Pyrenees!

However, I completely struggle to make sense of the race & series websites (especially when translated into English!). Anyone in need of amusement should read all the news reports from last year..

Is anyone considering trying some of these races? Drop me a PM, but I'm not making decisions until March.

Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Fellhound View Post
    Thanks Debbie, I may get back to you... It seems a shame that there isn't a single list of races in France, Italy or wherever as there is in Britain with the excellent FRA calendar. Our races are excellent, and accessible to all - I'm amazed we don't see more continental runners entering our races... it must be the weather!
    We have a comprehensive calendar of races in France called 'Le Bipede', it lists every single running race in France. If you have an idea of place and date when you would like to race we can point in the direction of any races. Also if you are interested in the MNRIC races we are friends with the organisers so will be able to help with any questions you may have regarding them.

Regards

Debbie
    www.pyrenees-haven.com