Thread: Mount Fuji Race

Mount Fuji Race

Hello there,

I am planning on entering (and runnning, all being well!) the Mount Fuji Race in July this year...
    http://www.city.fujiyoshida.yamanash...html/race.html

There are a few great personal accounts on the website but I wondered if anybody over here has experience of running this race/knows anybody that has run this race/is planning on running this race?

If so, it would be great to hear your thoughts!

Right, best be off for a run

Cheers,

Becki Law
    (Eryri Harriers)

Re: Mount Fuji Race

Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    Hello there,

I am planning on entering (and runnning, all being well!) the Mount Fuji Race in July this year...
    http://www.city.fujiyoshida.yamanash...html/race.html

There are a few great personal accounts on the website but I wondered if anybody over here has experience of running this race/knows anybody that has run this race/is planning on running this race?

If so, it would be great to hear your thoughts!

Right, best be off for a run

Cheers,

Becki Law
    (Eryri Harriers)
    Hi Becki
    It looks fantastic, not raced here a mate of mine has walked it and he says it's a tough lump!
    i have raced in Hong Kong and my snippet would be allow as much time as possible to acclimatise.
    Its a country i would love to visit and i think this race in a year or two will be on the list!

ps welcome to the forum
    Going to try again....

I saw a presentation by some boy scouts that went up it. It is very loose cinder so a case of 3 feet forward and two feet back.

From what i remember, Boff wasn't particularly enthusiastic about it in his book (Run Wild) was he, but then again he wasn't as caustic about it as he was the big city marathons.:wink:
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated I have also found another forumer who has written a blog about running in Japan (see the thread 'Mountain running in Japan blog' if you're interested) so I might be in touch once I've had a good read. I'm sure the acclimatisation will take a little bit of forethought too, and potentially unpredictable in terms of how it goes on the day! Any more thoughts, just let me know, and thanks again!

Becki

Thumbs up Re: Mount Fuji Race

If you're there for over a week I'd suggest buying a JR rail pass which lets you travel pretty much all over the main island. You can also use this on the circular bit of the Tokyo underground. I went in July a few years ago and it was pretty hot so would echo what others have said re acclimatising and also at least two days to sort your body clock out - maybe run the race towards the end of your trip? It's a fantastic country to visit. It's said about most places but the Japanese are genuinely great people. It's very safe, there are drink vending machines all over the show (great if you love iced coffee!) and it's not as expensive as people would have you believe. English is not that widely spoken. Credit Cards are rarely if ever used and its a b*gger to find a cash point. Cash is king etc. Great place, wish I could go back tomorrow!

By brother worked in Tokyo for a few weeks and he was saying the worst bit about it was the bloody yanks. There are a lot of loud American service personnel there.