Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Environment.

Chris

Re: Environment.

I think there are poorly supported races that deserve more support as opposed to the ones with lots of runners. I'm not saying I wouldn't do big races though but I'm less inclined to do so nowadays.
    Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    thats a fair point chris
    Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post

i was wondering what your view was on say race numbers entry wise

ive taken part in races with 30 odd in and 600odd in

must admit i like the low key back of a car boot races which although do damage like you say its minimal

i personally think 100 runners is just right, some course routes can take a lot more but i think once you start to get more than say 150 on the open fell , and i dont mean paths thats when you cause problems.

i think this is were reports from walkers and the joe public about us tearing up the ground come from
    Last edited by Chris; 10-07-2007 at 11:06 PM.

Master

[quote=Chris;51720]

I totally agree, Stick. Generally we do our best to consider the impact our sport has on the hills.

I don't like the recent 'supply of clean air to breath' thread because other activities are a whole lot worse than fell running -there is an agenda behind it which is opposed to any human activity. It is idiotic.

Chris the recent supply of clean air to breath thread was started in JANUARY therefore it is not recent.

Furthermore may i suggest you get tho Know folk personally before you decide that they or there thoughts are idiotic a few words posted on a forum can hardly give an accurate insight to a person and your view is based solely on your interpretation of those words

Based on the above if i was to judge you on your posts i would of course think you were insular and shortsighted but of course i would not do that because i don`t know you.

By the way i do not give a toss about a few stud marks after a race because contrary to your interpretation i love to see Human ACTIVITY especially of a physical nature.

Try Looking at the bigger picture
    Last edited by JohnK; 11-07-2007 at 06:59 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master and MR

well chris took me up past the new windfarm bases on the fell today, not quite sure were we was but i didnt quite realise the devastation caused in building them , okay when there up i think your either for or against them and its probably just whether you like the look of them or not , anyway personally ive always maintained they shouldnt ever be allowed on a fell or moor, and if you go and look , well they bulldozed a 15ft wide compacted road that must have damaged the fell, to link the turbines and it looks awfull, add to the fact that the motorbikers have wrecked the paths and fell in areas it doesnt seem a bright future for that area

Master

It is all part of the bigger picture Daz and it puts a few stud marks into perspective.

Even turbines at sea screw up the flight paths of birds and end up killing them and for what purpose Wind Turbines are not efficient and do more harm than good.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Chris, I think your thread is well and truly trashed by now . I get what you are saying about whether or not we should be contributing to the damage to the fells by our activity. I guess the bigger picture issue is that our activity comes a long way down on the list of some of the more telling pressures on our precious open and wild places. But its right to be concerned and to keep that in mind since I feel that should be part of fell racing philosophy. If all you are interested in is beating your fellow competitor then stick to road/track/cross country. Selecting fell racing requires another approach.

Anyway....picking up on the trashed bit of the thread, the bigger picture is one of major concern to all. The stark truth is that we can only realistically manage the energy needs for the world population by unlinking that demand from solar based supply. Coal, oil, gas, wind, hydro all link back to energy derived from the sun and using it has an inevitable imapct now or down the line on the global environment. There is only one way to unlink the cause and effect problem and that is to use non-solar derived energy (as well as managing our utilization better).

And there's only one realistic non-solar supply isn't there? Shall we go there??
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Have you seen the scars left by farmers Quad bikes ?

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
    Have you seen the scars left by farmers Quad bikes ?
    yep just after the stone bridge the bikers track are 2 ft deep in places, observed one biker falling off his bike , pissed myself
    but that road and disruption caused by building a dozen windmills is and abortion , i dont suppose the queen has them on her scottish estate

And there's only one realistic non-solar supply isn't there? Shall we go there??[/quote]

Good point. As much as it goes against everything I have always thought, is it time to think more seriously about Nuclear energy?
    30 years and still here.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by rossendalemark View Post
    And there's only one realistic non-solar supply isn't there? Shall we go there??
    Good point. As much as it goes against everything I have always thought, is it time to think more seriously about Nuclear energy?[/quote]

it wont happen
    your talking 20years at least to plan, faff, get public support, design build a nuclear station
    there will be more coal fired stations built before then , i think two new coal fired stations hae been passed recently

So what do we do? Apply pressure for more nukes NOW? I reckon!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth