Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Environment.

Master and MR

Re: Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    So what do we do? Apply pressure for more nukes NOW? I reckon!
    i think we should build them in south wales

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    Good point. As much as it goes against everything I have always thought, is it time to think more seriously about Nuclear energy?

it wont happen
    your talking 20years at least to plan, faff, get public support, design build a nuclear station
    there will be more coal fired stations built before then , i think two new coal fired stations hae been passed recently
    All that may well be true Daz, but we have to start from where we are now. So we should put bundles of cash into fusion research, we should expedite and support expansion of current fission reactors....

...but we (the public at large!) have to culturally accept both the macro issues and make the "local" damaging activities (like how much waste we each generate and what we do with it...it might sound like trivialisation but old tea-bags make great compost!...and why aren't microwave ovens used more...?)

By the way, anyone else think like me that all motorsports should be banned? Hey...bet'll get me popular! Oh look...wonder why no politician's ever suggested it
    ...there's a hill nearby missing its fool...

Already got 'em mate. Well, a couple on the other side of the Severn Estuary. And don't forget about Moleys toolshed!

Actually, why not put them where the old steel works were? Plenty of space at Llanwern, Port Talbot, Margam et al.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Oh, Stick, how naughty! Classic Le Mans was one of the best weekends I ever had. And Goodwood is sublime.
    But keep ICE off t'fells I say!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master

The only Viable option at this point in time doe`s seem to be nuclear but we need to be working on the solution now.

Because if we don`t not only is the environment under threat but our whole way of life, due to the fact that as our oil and natural resources run out then our dependency on Russia will grow and we will end up with Russia having us by the short and curlys.

In the broader spectrum even motor sports pale into insignificance when balanced by the needless motorised journeys made everyday by the average Joe worldwide for example.

The BIG picture is Huge
    The older I get the Faster I was

Why are things sold in plastic packaging - I mean if it is not necessary? I remember when the pop man came round and we bought some in glass bottles and got a reasonably substantial refund on the bottle. I remember milkmen bringing milk each morning in glass bottles which they took away with them again. Why has the government not passed a shed load of laws to make things like this happen again? - because they are in thrall to big business. Maybe it is time to think the unthinkable - I mean the n word. We will never have a truly solar, sustainable green economy because this sort of society woud devolve power away from government - you can't go to war or conquer or rule on solar panels - and they wouldn't have it: I mean that there would be no 'rich and powerful' in the modern understanding of the term i.e. those with absolute control of the means of production and military power. That is why the n option is so attractive to them as a means of solving the energy problem. James Lovelock concedes it is our only hope, and if we are to continue to live in the waty we do, then he must be right. I think the way we live is wrong though, and if we were to make massive adjustments to the way we live then, we could manage with truly sustainable and safe energy supplies - there are many communities who show that we could by doing just that - see what the Centre for Alternative Technology are doing. Personally I think the n option is just way way too dangerous though - look at how things are going with Putin and the shifting balances of power etc. etc. , but I don't see a viable alternative, people like their technologicaly enhanced lifestyles too much. (Says he, on t'internet!)
    Last edited by Grouse; 15-07-2007 at 09:00 PM.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Master and MR

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6444373.stm

look all sorted
    you can burn coal and its greener
    we still have 100s of millions of tonnes of coal under our feet you know

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Chris, I think your thread is well and truly trashed by now .
    And there's only one realistic non-solar supply isn't there? Shall we go there??
    And it's in Moley's Shed not room for everyone in there though.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Millipede you are right and I am going to make the effort to have my milk delivered by a milkman errr... milk person . I think it's true to say that most people these days don't.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.