Thread: insertional achilles tendiniti

insertional achilles tendiniti

I've had it confirmed by the NHS physio today (using an ultrasound scan) that my nagging, ongoing heel pain is insertional achilles tendinitis and there's nothing he can do for me except recommend that I carry on with the usual eccentric heel drops and stretches that I've been doing for the past few months.
    The only other suggestion was to go private and have some shockwave therapy which might help

Before I commit the kids to a month of beans on toast so I can afford this therapy I was wondering if anyone has had this problem sorted by shockwaves?

Thanks

Super Moderator

Re: insertional achilles tendi

These exercises have helped me several times in the past. I don't normally do the stretching one though
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Eccentric heel drops do work, but it is essential to follow the Alfredson protocol fully. When I had achilles tendinosis four years ago, I was doing the heel drops as 'recommended' and was not getting anywhere, until I finally got a referral to Alfredson's clinic. I was all scheduled for surgery to scrape away the neovascularizations growing into the achilles, and in the meantime he explained how to really do the heel drops and suggested I do them until the surgery some 6 weeks away. First, he said you have to do them faithfully 3x per day, with 3 sets of 15 each time (both legs to maintain balance). Second, for people who are fit, which you likely are since you are on this forum, body weight is just not enough. Put weights in a backpack and keep increasing as you adapt - it is supposed to hurt. (He does in fact tell the story that he did this to himself, with the expectation it would snap and he would get surgery to fix it, but in the meantime it would serve as an experiment for eccentric training. He gave me the same reasoning: if it works, my achilles will be fine; if it snaps, it will be sewn together and it will be fine; and if did the surgery to remove the neovascularizations, then it would be fine.) Morning (after I had been up and out on a walk with the dogs) and night at home I did them with 15 kg in a pack; during the day I had access to a gym and would pass through quickly at lunch and progressed quickly up to 40 kg. After 4 solid weeks of persistent training, in fact it began to improve, and the surgery was cancelled. I still have the 15 kg in the pack, which I use whenever I have a twinge in my achilles.

Somewhere recently I read that Alfredson visits a clinic in the UK on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    These exercises have helped me several times in the past. I don't normally do the stretching one though
    Thanks DT, spotted these a while ago from one of your earlier posts and have been following your suggestion - I guess they must be helping but it would be great to be pain free if that's at all possible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Sweden View Post
    Eccentric heel drops do work, but it is essential to follow the Alfredson protocol fully. When I had achilles tendinosis four years ago, I was doing the heel drops as 'recommended' and was not getting anywhere, until I finally got a referral to Alfredson's clinic. I was all scheduled for surgery to scrape away the neovascularizations growing into the achilles, and in the meantime he explained how to really do the heel drops and suggested I do them until the surgery some 6 weeks away. First, he said you have to do them faithfully 3x per day, with 3 sets of 15 each time (both legs to maintain balance). Second, for people who are fit, which you likely are since you are on this forum, body weight is just not enough. Put weights in a backpack and keep increasing as you adapt - it is supposed to hurt. (He does in fact tell the story that he did this to himself, with the expectation it would snap and he would get surgery to fix it, but in the meantime it would serve as an experiment for eccentric training. He gave me the same reasoning: if it works, my achilles will be fine; if it snaps, it will be sewn together and it will be fine; and if did the surgery to remove the neovascularizations, then it would be fine.) Morning (after I had been up and out on a walk with the dogs) and night at home I did them with 15 kg in a pack; during the day I had access to a gym and would pass through quickly at lunch and progressed quickly up to 40 kg. After 4 solid weeks of persistent training, in fact it began to improve, and the surgery was cancelled. I still have the 15 kg in the pack, which I use whenever I have a twinge in my achilles.

Somewhere recently I read that Alfredson visits a clinic in the UK on a regular basis.
    Ive been told not to lower beyond horizontal but I'll try adding some weight.