Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadstand July 1st 2007

Broadstand July 1st 2007

I organised and paced an attempt at a Double Bob Graham Round last weekend. For anyone that was there they will realise that the weather was far from suitable. My victim, Colin Kirkman, completed the 6th leg to Threlkeld but luckily did not continue to Dunmail because the weather that followed was so severe that he may have died from exposure (given how tired he was, can't think why).

We sent a team up to Broadstand to recover our fixed rope, but bad weather and poor vis meant they couldn't get to it from above and remove it. For future attempts this summer I can state that 2 ropes were left in place. This included my green rope that was anchored to a good natural chockstone and is suitable for an abseil down the main corner, and another grey rope that had been left from an attempt on 16th June. This rope is also well anchored and I backed it up the single krab with a screw gate. This rope is knotted at frequent inervals and provides a good handrail around from the top of the initial chimney to the top of the corner. A number of nut placements secure it to the corner but I cannot say when the owners will return to collect it. We are from S Devon so regrettably will not be able to get back to recover it and would be pleased if others could benefit from its placement. While the rope is old, it should be fine for a short abseil.

Cheers
    Stewart Bondi

Re: Broadstand July 1st 2007

Hi Stewart
    Thanks for info, if ropes still there in 2 weeks I will use them, if not, I,m intending going Rake & West Wall Tr. route. No problems either way. i'm a runner who enjoys a scramble but not a climber.

Are you's having another go at double?
    If so, post info early and I will come along to help

Stewart - I think you should encourage someone to remove the rope asap. Climbers and walkers shouldn't trust any rope they come across - who knows what damage has been caused by abrasion, tampering or sunlight. I fully understand the time pressures and retrieval difficulties, but it still amounts to litter.

I agree. I'm surprised that you were ok about leaving the rope on the mountain as you drove back down south. If you have the ability to put it up there you have the ability to take it down. I think you need to arrange for it to be taken down.

alwaysinjured

Give him a break guys! - They tried to do something amazing.

He lives in devon! The next ones up can take it down - theres some going this w/e- at least he has owned up to it.

Any climbers who head that way will probably remove it anyway as finders keepers! If I head up that way at the weekend (hah if the rain lets up!) then I'll take the gear out if you want.

Kat

alwaysinjured

You will have to beat us to it.
    Our BG "victim" is on broadstand early PM sat.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinjured View Post
    Give him a break guys! - They tried to do something amazing.

He lives in devon! The next ones up can take it down - theres some going this w/e- at least he has owned up to it.
    I don't see a double BG as amazing - a bit daft actually. Why not just do something longer (24 hour record route in however fast you can do it or the 2500ft peaks). Maybe I'll try a triple BG (it's easy to think these things up) and I'll mark the whole route and put a fixed line on every slightly exposed section just because I'm trying something stupid!?! Living in devon makes it worse (cause he can't get back here easily)- if I lived in devon I definitely wouldn't have left anything behind. Also I think giving up because of dying of exposure is a bit of an overstatement. He gave up because he didn't want to go any further or he gave up because he was too tired this I guess would be more in line with the truth. How can you die of exposure on a supported BG round in summer? Only with Incompetence.

Amazing? or a bit daft? - often there isn't much difference!... most normal people think a single BG is pretty daft.

agree double BG is a bit unimaginative, but it is pretty amazing to keep going for that long, especially if weather is poor.