Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadstand July 1st 2007

Re: Broadstand July 1st 2007

Adambaalam, are you calling me stupid? Why are you giving the guy so much grief about this? I don't think he should have left the rope there or marked the route either, but how about a bit of civility? Am I daft as well for supporting on this round? I think a double BG would be an awesome achievement, maybe a bit unimaginative, but we're not all blessed with unlimited powers of creative thought are we? Most people think fell running is stupid, never mind the BG.
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...

This is a fellrunners forum so what normal people think doesn't apply. This is the problem - folk think that a double BG is an awesome achievement - I can't see it. Why not just run one faster or do something else as long or longer?
    I was supporting a BG last weekend and we past this double attempt going the other way. Somebody supporting had to spout off to us, that his was a double BG attempt. It was as if we should be impressed - I knew then that he wasn't going to complete it.

I think its a pretty amazing challenge, and would anybody dismiss Joss Naylors traversal of all the Wainright Lakeland peaks as 'unimaginative'? The OP has let people know what kit was left up there, and it sounds like others are willing to deal with it - surely this is quite reasonable behaviour all round? I would save criticism for real abusers of our countryside... Oh, and better luck next time!

Totally different.

That's a unique challenge, like FMA's Lakes 2000's, they are single challenges in them selves, not a repeat of a smaller challenge to make a big round.

Oh and I agree it was litter. I doubt the weather was that bad that support crew, could not remove those ropes. I've left gear once or twice while abbing off a route in winter blizzards in the highlands, but the minimal amount possible.

To be fair, the knotted rope left 16 June has been there longer and no-one has mentioned removing it. I didn't like it being there on 23 June when I was there. Ropes left in places like that get damaged and gear in cracks gets dislodged. I was worried by some of the BG supporters that I saw hoisting themselves up this rope completely trusting all of their weight to it with no top rope/safety rope. If the rope/ladder or whatever else is "fixed" fails, you're off. I would far rather people climbed the rock with a top rope or without. It was actually quite tricky to climb up and back down without using any of the fixed gear, but I managed.

DON'T TRUST FIXED ROPES UNLESS YOU KNOW THEY'VE BEEN FIXED OR CHECKED BY SOMEONE THAT YOU TRUST WITH YOUR LIFE JUST BEFORE YOU GET THERE. If you can't be sure, just climb the rock. It's been there for millions of years!

Can we give Stewart a bit of slack, he did tell us the rope was left in place and for doing that he seems to be getting a load of flak.

Can someone please remove any ropes from broadstand after any BGRs this weekend, its very unsafe to leave fixed rope as over time it will wear and fail.
    It will also encourage walkers to have a go who will rely on the rope to pull on, do you really want someone to have an accident there?

Bill

Fellhound

When you think about it, if Broad Stand were in the Dolomites there would undoubtedly be an iron ladder on it (or at least a fixed cable) but in Britain we prefer our mountains as unsullied as possible.

In the case of "gear" left in place (ropes, etriers etc) I agree with Bill, the risk of deterioration makes this a highly dangerous situation. Wherever possible, I believe any climbing gear used should be removed immediately so that the next traveller arrives at a 'naked' Broad Stand!

I was supporting a BG last weekend and we past this double attempt going the other way. Somebody supporting had to spout off to us, that his was a double BG attempt. It was as if we should be impressed - I knew then that he wasn't going to complete it.[/quote]

Sounds like you were upstaged and feel bitter about it. Who are you to judge anothers efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by amadablam View Post
    It was as if we should be impressed - I knew then that he wasn't going to complete it.
    Yeah, right

Guys - you shouldn't hide behind your pseudonyms and put into print what you wouldn't say to someone to their face. It seems fell running is split with internal division and factional infighting - time for a bit of Karma and tolerance of others. He made his 3rd ever posting to this forum and gets verbal abuse, being called unimaginative and incompetent. A forum is meant to be for rational debate not gladiatoral combat. No wonder race numbers are getting smaller and average ages older if this is the way we treat people. Save your testosterone for the hills
    Last edited by Forrest Gump; 09-07-2007 at 02:54 AM.
    I like to go to work on a Monday morning more tired than I come home on a Friday evening!