Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadstand July 1st 2007

alwaysinjured

Re: Broadstand July 1st 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Full Moon Addict View Post
    agree double BG is a bit unimaginative, but it is pretty amazing to keep going for that long, especially if weather is poor.
    IMHO The BG route is very different in character CW and CCW, so it isnt the same route twice - it behaves like 84 different hills

And the fact that these challenges look different to people, and what is amazing to one is dull boring to another is what keeps some diversity in the sport: it would be sad to see everyone chasing the same goal.

ForestGump : Spot on If we are going to criticisize, we should at least be polite and constructive. Personally, i still think the OP showed good form in letting people on the forum know that kit had been left on site. And I am sure many on this site would see a double BGR as a titanic undertaking. cheers a

Quote Originally Posted by Deek View Post
    I was supporting a BG last weekend and we past this double attempt going the other way. Somebody supporting had to spout off to us, that his was a double BG attempt. It was as if we should be impressed - I knew then that he wasn't going to complete it.
    Sounds like you were upstaged and feel bitter about it. Who are you to judge anothers efforts.[/quote]

Upstaged by what? A failed attempt. I bet the record holders of the bg and the 24 record didn't spout off when they were out on the hill.

I would have done .
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...

I wasn't there, so it is difficult to judge the tone of the remarks - "spouting off" could just have been enthusiasm and excitement at what they were attempting boiling over. No harm in that, we can't all conduct ourselves in a modest manner all the time.

The main point of this thread was the fate of the kit that was left in situ. Did anyone remove it over the weekend?

I agree, there is also a pride in these occassions which has people spouting a bit. Nothing wrong with that really.

I remember when my wife did her 100th munro after only living in Scotland for a few years, she stopped everyone on the way down for a chat and to drop in 'Oh well this was my hundredth munro'.

The only thing on this thread that rankled with me was that it seemed to contain the only instance I've ever seen in fellrunning where one person seemed to wishing another to fail. Fellrunning seems to display both competitiveness and comeradeship in equal parts, making it such a tough yet pleasant sport to be involved in. This seems to be the case at the sharp end, right the way through the mid pack and right to the back.

The "I knew then that he wasn't going to complete it" comment read to me like "I hope they fail". I know that's not what was actually said, but reading between the lines, that's what it sounds like. Correct me if i'm wrong of course, but be honest before you do. Perhaps it was more like that you didn't care if they succeeded or not? Personally, I'd rather they had suceeded, safely.
    Last edited by Mark Smith; 09-07-2007 at 12:52 PM.

Upstaged by what? A failed attempt. I bet the record holders of the bg and the 24 record didn't spout off when they were out on the hill.[/quote]

Thats fairly obvious. Someone who was trying something bigger than your mates. Humility isn' t the preserve of the high achievers. Why would you think it is? I think reading the messages behind your writing you should have a new avatar(?).....Box Hill.

Sorry, my last response was made without thinking. What I should have said was how can you be upstaged by something that you think is daft.
    swiss tony stop reading between the lines, I did not want him to fail - even although I feel the challenge is pointless.

Deek-you have no idea who my mates are. They wouldn't be so unimaginative.

It wasn't aimed at your mates. You were the one who talked about the guy spouting off.