Thread: Winter leg 5.

Winter leg 5.

Planning to do catbells outwards and leg 5 from Dalehead summit tomorrow..
    Ive only done it in summer and i don't particularly like the rock steps coming off Robinson in good conditions. Is there a popular way to avoid them as i imagine it will be pretty slippy there tomorrow!?
    The rest of the route should be pretty nice in snow.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Super Moderator

Re: Winter leg 5.

Quote Originally Posted by nosemi View Post
    Planning to do catbells outwards and leg 5 from Dalehead summit tomorrow..
    Ive only done it in summer and i don't particularly like the rock steps coming off Robinson in good conditions. Is there a popular way to avoid them as i imagine it will be pretty slippy there tomorrow!?
    The rest of the route should be pretty nice in snow.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Martyn Price's navigator showed us an excellent line off to the right before you get to the top of the steps. Aim towards the dam-ish. Very runnable
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Thats what i was thinking, if you took a right higher up it doesnt look to steep either and there would be no need to regain height.
    Martyn p are you sure you dont fancy a run out tomorrow?!

Super Moderator

I've been right twice on other runner's rounds (both successful). Martyn went later than you might think was ideal and my mate Steve went much earlier. Later is less steep than earlier, but both were safe and runnable
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Both significant rock steps can be avoided by using bypasses just off the ridge itself.

The top (and larger step) is avoided to the left. The trod leaves the ridge by a reasonably large cairn. Anyone having had the benefit of the Wheezing Donkey leg 5 treatment will know this spot as it is where Ian waits, headtorch pointing up hill.

The trod goes initially left, then cuts back hard right and exits right at the base of the step. It's a skinny trod but you can keep moving.

The second step can be avoided to the right. Initially it goes very steeply down a grassy gully, then shifts left with a few short drops. You wouldn't want to run it but, again, there is no problem with keeping moving.

It's just a personal view but I love the natural elegance of finishing all the way down the ridge.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

For a descender, it is a good line, but you need to set a bearing beforehand for darkness/poor vis, and if the snow falling at the moment continues, it will be a microspike job! ps that applies to leaving the ridge to right too!
    Last edited by Chris K; 25-01-2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: pressed send to early!
    A circular route mostly downhill

Quote Originally Posted by nosemi View Post
    Thats what i was thinking, if you took a right higher up it doesnt look to steep either and there would be no need to regain height.
    Martyn p are you sure you dont fancy a run out tomorrow?!
    I'm sorry Ben, I would have loved to come along with you but I've got other things on this weekend. I'd keep an eye on the weather forecast if I were you, it could be a bit dicey over the next 48 hours!

Anyhow, here's the descent that DT refers to - credit must go to Dave Harrison for this, he's done it a few times but I think he nailed it perfectly for me when it really mattered

Attachment 6718
    Even though I went this way on my BGR, I think there is still something to be said for following the route down to the col (either via the rock steps or the bypass that Morgan refers to) and then descending to the valley floor or going over High Snab Bank and then descending just before the fell gate. Purists might argue that it's the only way to go!
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Thanks Martyn. We didn't go in the end, just didn't make any sense traveling in the snow that was dumped on Friday evening. Did a nice 15mile run locally on Sunday.
    Thanks for the replies
    Ben