Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Atrial Fibrillation

Atrial Fibrillation

Had this for a few years now, times still going down the pan, racing out of the question - anyone else getting around with this?

Re: Atrial Fibrillation

Quote Originally Posted by bogtastic View Post
    Had this for a few years now, times still going down the pan, racing out of the question - anyone else getting around with this?
    We'll see...
    Lots of stuff here..http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...ght=heart+rate

my take on it as a fell running cardiologist is there on the old thread but if I can answer any questions i'd be happy to

P

Cheers.

I'm looking for a (pretty minimal) training regime really. Have been doing 10 miles / 800ft on Sundays but I'm flaking out after 8 miles or so now. I'm thinking 3 x 5 miles a week more or less on the flat will be (a) do-able and (b) sort of enjoyable and perhaps will mean I can up the mileage / ascent later on.

Never been a hard core runner, but I would like to be able to do a bit at least.

Have you looked at the AF Association website (www.afa.org.uk)? I work in Patient Services and help moderate a very busy forum http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/A-F-A/ where there are quite a few endurance athletes who would be able to respond and share information.

It is an excellent source of information for anyone who has atrial fibrillation or cares for someone with this condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni Cozon View Post
    Have you looked at the AF Association website (www.afa.org.uk)? I work in Patient Services and help moderate a very busy forum http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/A-F-A/ where there are quite a few endurance athletes who would be able to respond and share information.

It is an excellent source of information for anyone who has atrial fibrillation or cares for someone with this condition.
    Thanks for the info.

I'll have a good read when I've got some spare time.

My friend Caz (forumite Happy on the Hills) suffers from this, he mentions it here http://preselibeast.wordpress.com/its-all-me-me-me/

Caz has recently done the BG, PB and Meiri rounds - he's early 40's so it is possible.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Can I add to the heart related questions?

I took part in a voluntary heart study 2 years ago and was told I'd got inverted t wave of about 2mm, the word lateral came up too. The study also involved using a heart ultrasound and all was fine on that. I left it a while but then followed this up recently, for reasons i won't go into here. The cardiologist ran a ct and i got a calcium score of zero. I'm told that's good. I've displayed no symptoms and have run plenty since, including hard races and I've done summer and winter BGRs in recent years.

The guys at the study said it was nothing to worry about but I remain slightly nervous and I can't put my finger on it. The cardiologist suggested I stop training for 6 weeks and we will see if there is a change in ECGs taken every two weeks. Going in for the ECGs makes me very anxious and 2weeks in, I'm wondering whether the anxiety is a) at risk of masking something/creating a false positive and b) worth the bother at all? I'm very tempted to just abandon it.

So my question is, given all else is normal and I feel fine and no other tests or examinations (he also gave me a good listening to via stethoscope) show a problem, what does an apparently shallow t wave inversion really mean?

Also, I get the feeling I'm being used as a lab rat but maybe I'm being unkind?

Any views much appreciated as its getting me rather anxious and hypersensitive!

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Smith; 05-03-2013 at 12:14 AM.

Master

So - normal echo, normal CT scan, no calcium, no abnormal heart noises, and presumably no symptoms ....... so we just have persisting shallow T wave inversion in the lateral leads. If it was me I would be very reluctant to stop running for 6 weeks - but it would be interesting to see if your ECG changed! Why not PM Paolo?