Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Atrial Fibrillation

Re: Atrial Fibrillation

Have done so and the good doctor was ever so helpful :-) So, where are my running shoes?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
    Have done so and the good doctor was ever so helpful :-) So, where are my running shoes?
    Any chance of sharing the discussion?

I think your previous post just about covered it mike, ie nowt to worry about all those things consisted. The t wave abnormalities are not so unusual in trained people and given all other tests are ok, it's ignorable. Thankfully.

Master

I think your previous post just about covered it mike, ie nowt to worry about all those things consisted. The t wave abnormalities are not so unusual in trained people and given all other tests are ok, it's ignorable. Thankfully.
    Sounds good/sensible.

Can I add to the heart related questions?

I took part in a voluntary heart study 2 years ago and was told I'd got inverted t wave of about 2mm, the word lateral came up too. The study also involved using a heart ultrasound and all was fine on that. I left it a while but then followed this up recently, for reasons i won't go into here. The cardiologist ran a ct and i got a calcium score of zero. I'm told that's good. I've displayed no symptoms and have run plenty since, including hard races and I've done summer and winter BGRs in recent years.

The guys at the study said it was nothing to worry about but I remain slightly nervous and I can't put my finger on it. The cardiologist suggested I stop training for 6 weeks and we will see if there is a change in ECGs taken every two weeks. Going in for the ECGs makes me very anxious and 2weeks in, I'm wondering whether the anxiety is a) at risk of masking something/creating a false positive and b) worth the bother at all? I'm very tempted to just abandon it.

So my question is, given all else is normal and I feel fine and no other tests or examinations (he also gave me a good listening to via stethoscope) show a problem, what does an apparently shallow t wave inversion really mean?

Also, I get the feeling I'm being used as a lab rat but maybe I'm being unkind?

Any views much appreciated as its getting me rather anxious and hypersensitive!

Mark
    Hi Mark

I know where you are coming from. I've another trip to the Cardiolgists on Friday. I've hardly run in the last two months and certainly nothing at race pace. other injuries aside(ankle, knees and now my shoulder) plus the worry over my daughter I feel very nervous about going for a hard run. I constantly have the feeling of an imminent attack.
    I have a place in the forth coming skyline and need to do something.
    Going out tonight with dark peak as a social run. if all goes ok tonight and on Friday I'll try a race over the weekend.
    Last edited by IanDarkpeak; 06-03-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I've another trip to the Cardiolgists on Friday. I've hardly run in the last two months and certainly nothing at race pace. other injuries aside(ankle, knees and now my shoulder) plus the worry over my daughter I feel very nervous about going for a hard run. I constantly have the feeling of an imminent attack.
    I have a place in the forth coming skyline and need to do something.
    Going out tonight with dark peak as a social run. if all goes ok tonight and on Friday I'll try a race over the weekend.
    Ian, I only caught up with this tonight. So sorry you are having a bad time. How is it all going? Is your AF adrenergic (as opposed to mine, which is vagal)?
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Ian, I only caught up with this tonight. So sorry you are having a bad time. How is it all going? Is your AF adrenergic (as opposed to mine, which is vagal)?
    The nerves are still there but other than that they are going ok. They are still tinkering and havent decided whats causing it yet, just getting back out now the weather is changing which is giving me a much better outlook....i'll keep you posted.

cos a few people have asked and cos I don't want to clutter up other threads:

I came on with persistent (24/7) AF in the second week of December
    if I try any even very gentle jogging I quickly become light-headed
    I have no other underlying probs (diabetes, high blood pressure, thyroid)
    I had an echo-cardiogram today and my heart has no other probs
    so looks like I will be getting an "ablation" op jobby
    "cryo" is the latest apparently - they send in balloons of liquid nitrogen and freeze the requisite areas!
    good success rate apparently
    seeing doc again next week - think he'll probably recommend the procedure
    watch this space...
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Sounds like a good option. Very good luck. Having a sound heart that can be ablated successfully is one of your rewards for being a runner.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    so looks like I will be getting an "ablation" op jobby
    Good luck Daz. My partner Steve had Paroxysmal AF for a few years which was bearable when it was once a month or so but the incidences increased to several times a week so he went for the Ablation almost exactly a year ago. It seems to have been 100% successful and he has had no episodes since the op. He is now so much more confident and thoroughly enjoying his running again - a real pleasure to witness :-)
    Charmian Heaton