Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We had the strangest accident!

We had the strangest accident!

We had a hill interval session going, had done the warm up stuff and were about to start the intervals.

The juniors were taking outer layers off and piling them up at the foot of a tall dry stone wall when it spontaneously collapsed and one of the stones caught one lad a nasty crack to the head. Fortunately he wasn't badly hurt (more shocked than anything), we did some basic first aid and he had a couple of stitches down at Urgent Care later on.

Everything's fine now (I've got an online accident report to do through the uka website but it's fairly straightforward) but I though I'd share it because it taught us a few valuable lessons today;

1. Always carry the first aid kit. The most bizarre accidents can happen anywhere! This was less than half a mile from the car park and I nearly didn't bother taking the first aid kit. It actually wouldn't have mattered on this occasion because my assistant got his first aid kit out first but even so.
    2. Head wounds bleed a lot! Actually I knew this in theory but to see it happen is quite shocking, especially with a young lad intent on spreading it everywhere! The basic first aid kit has little in the way of absorbent pads/compresses so it's worth thinking about sticking something extra in.
    3. Mandatory kit matters. This incident could easily have happened halfway around a long run, in a cold wind, a couple of miles from decent shelter. I sometimes get sick of hearing myself repeat 'hat/gloves/jacket' to our juniors and their parents but I'm definitely not stopping now. The youngster was mobile but only at a walk, he would have got very cold if he hadn't had jacket and gloves to wear. If you really can't trust your juniors to bring the right kit and you don't want to turn them away then consider carrying some extra emergency stuff yourself; a couple of small fleeces, a thick hat, gloves and a shell take up little space in a rucksack.

Hopefully everyone will take this as useful advice (the self important pedants that roam this forum don't seem to get to the junior pages much!) from someone who learnt something today!

Andy,

Clayton Harriers.

Re: We had the strangest accid

Glad the lads ok, could of been so much worse!!

Master

Thanks Andy, I've put 'extra pads' on the kitchen whiteboard to add to the outdoors first aid kit next week.
    As RtS says, glad it turned out OK.
    I was due to take an outing of juniors up to 600m (Higher Shelf) today, being such good weather, but more important stuff at 150m got in the way, and led to deferment.
    Powered by Ugali.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyA View Post
    Head wounds bleed a lot! Actually I knew this in theory but to see it happen is quite shocking, especially with a young lad intent on spreading it everywhere!
    Thank you for telling us about it Andy! Newbie first-aiders may well be shocked into inaction the first time they are faced with any serious bleeding .. I certainly was ~ at home with some toddlers when one of them trapped a hand in a door. I was still processing the scene while a well-practised parent immediately grabbed the kid and a towel, and had the wound under pressure before I could so much as blink!
    Mandatory kit matters. [..] he would have got very cold if he hadn't had jacket and gloves to wear. [..] consider carrying some extra emergency stuff yourself; a couple of small fleeces, a thick hat, gloves and a shell take up little space in a rucksack.
    Indeed. Also be aware that (FRA) mandatory kit is a bare minimum and won't keep people warm for long (not even in Todmorden park, I once found out!), and that many families will not be able to afford £150+ warm/weatherproof jackets for their children, so it's always worth having some extra gear.

Quote Originally Posted by LissaJous View Post
    ... and that many families will not be able to afford £150+ arm/weatherproof jackets for their children.
    Thats true but i wouldnt ask them to. A cheap regatta shell works fine and fleeces are pretty cheap nowadays. The problem is just getting them to bring it along!

Not pedantic, just attempting to be informative. I'm assuming that you are not expecting the juniors to train/run in their protective kit? Just to have it "handy" in case it is needed? Thus it does not need to have the silly (£150) price tag of lightweight/active mountain marathon style kit. My daughter appears to buy good but heavy (not suitable for actually running in) protective kit for our grandchildren, at very sensible prices, from Trespass
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Not pedantic, just attempting to be informative. I'm assuming that you are not expecting the juniors to train/run in their protective kit? Just to have it "handy" in case it is needed? Thus it does not need to have the silly (£150) price tag of lightweight/active mountain marathon style kit. My daughter appears to buy good but heavy (not suitable for actually running in) protective kit for our grandchildren, at very sensible prices, from Trespass
    This is always a tricky one and not just for juniors; others have spent hours debating the breathability or not of various materials! Personally I find a full waterproof (whatever the fabric) very unpleasant to run in unless it's very cold. I much prefer a pertex type windshirt and layers underneath as reqd. I'm currently using a hi viz windproof vest that I bought from JJB 5 years ago for £9, does the job very well. I've never paid £150 for a running jacket though, didn't realise that you could!

WRT junior training; I'm very happy for them to wear cheapo windproof stuff (sports direct have a good selection of hi viz gear that's pretty cheap) as long as they have something appropriate underneath. Depending on the weather I'll sometimes waive the requirement; we've been out in the evening in short sleeves and shorts before now. I don't expect them to carry anything; if emergency kit is required then that's my job. Windproof jackets can always be tied around waists if need be.

If the weather is so foul that windproof gear is dangerously inadequate then I'll probably knock the session on the head or cut it short anyway.

The important thing (for me anyway) is to insist that they arrive with the 'mandatory' kit (just like seniors at races) so that you can make the decision on sound grounds, rather than be influenced by the fact that they just haven't got it with them. Ultimately the responsibility is with the parents but a surprising number attempt to pass the buck to their kids.

Andy......thanks for the info. I regularly take our juniors out on the hills ( I always have extra adult help ) I carry a rucksack with what I consider are the bare essentials.
    First aid kit
    Bothy bag ( 2 person shelter)
    Mobile phone with emergency contacts ( plus contacts of all parents )
    Space blanket
    Spare cagoule, hat and gloves
    Several other useful items !
    You have got to be prepared for all eventualities !
    Weighs me down a bit and I have trouble keeping up as it is !

Deviating from this thread slightly (the title caught my curiosity) Just a thought on waterproof kit, but isn't a lot of 'cheap and cheerful' inexpensive kit now, what was once 'gucci' kit about ten years back? I don't see many crisp packet waterprooves like I had as a kid in the 80's nowadays?

Another thought as well, if you need loans kits for your juniors, have you considered approaching some outdoor/sports manufacturers or shops for some 'sponsorship' in the form of their items they can't shift (the other half works in outdoor retail and whilst her company doesn't give discount as a policy, she remarked that although the sales get rid of some items, there are still a few years and years items they struggle to shift even at discount)? For the publicity they may well be more than willing to give you some old stock? Who knows they might even be willing to sponsor all your juniors with new kit rather than just donate some old loan kit?

Finally as a suggestion re first aid have you considered getting involved with a voluntary organisation such as St John Ambulance, Red Cross, or Mountain Rescue? They will often give free training to volunteers (naturally you have to pay back in terms of hours on duty but it's not a considerable commitment), and may provide some kit.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanT View Post
    Deviating from this thread slightly....
    ditto....,

where've you been Al? I was only asking Steve K last week what had happened to you?