Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: winter round 24th Feb 2013

winter round 24th Feb 2013

Any news of Jim Mann's attempt starting 1 am this morning?

Re: winter round 24th Feb 2013

I was with him on the first leg to Threlkeld. Jim was really strong and completed it in around 3 hours 7 minutes and left a couple of minutes later. I arrived 15 minutes later very tired.

Conditions were good, cold but with not too much wind. Bits of snow and ice higher up.

I hope he carries on as strongly.

Quote Originally Posted by stevebirkinshaw View Post
    I was with him on the first leg to Threlkeld. Jim was really strong and completed it in around 3 hours 7 minutes and left a couple of minutes later. I arrived 15 minutes later very tired.

Conditions were good, cold but with not too much wind. Bits of snow and ice higher up.

I hope he carries on as strongly.
    Well he was strong on the next section too. And the schedule being ticked off perfectly until Fairfield and Seat Sandal where curiously the snow and ice were sufficiently troublesome to slow the escapade down by 20 mins. Until then, the white conditions were not too bothersome, the cold conspired to try and freeze up the liquids, until the bottle went up my jersey.
    Jim finished the leg in good fettle, eating and drinking well.

He's relentless that lad. Good luck Jim. Keep the updates coming and stay warm up there

I am afraid he gave up at Wasdale. He was an hour behind his 18:30 hour schedule at that point. He lost all the time on really icy sections on Bowfell and Scafell as well as earlier on Fairfield. The rest of the splits on was spot on schedule.

Overall a very impressive attempt at a winter record. With the right conditions i am sure he will get it.

Thanks to all for the support Steve, Gary, Andy, Stu, Mark & Jamie and Gill - you were all brilliant - Its people like this that make all the magic of the BG happen.

Conditions were a lot worse than I had anticipated especially Bowfell and Scafell and of course I was looking for a different outcome today but hey thats sometimes the way it goes and I have no complaints. I had a great a great day out, proved to myself that this is possible and got beaten by a course that I simply wasn't up to.

I'll skill up and be back again next winter

Jim, hats off to you. Glad you are safe and already looking to another attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mann View Post
    Thanks to all for the support Steve, Gary, Andy, Stu, Mark & Jamie and Gill - you were all brilliant - Its people like this that make all the magic of the BG happen.

Conditions were a lot worse than I had anticipated especially Bowfell and Scafell and of course I was looking for a different outcome today but hey thats sometimes the way it goes and I have no complaints. I had a great a great day out, proved to myself that this is possible and got beaten by a course that I simply wasn't up to.

I'll skill up and be back again next winter
    Hard luck mate, better luck next time, did you try the direct route up Bowfell? or the hikers route?

ATB

Tahr
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

The direct route - where is the hikers route? - That's new to me!?

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Hard luck mate, better luck next time, did you try the direct route up Bowfell? or the hikers route?

ATB

Tahr
    Bowfell in winter Igg and me are still getting flashbacks ;-). Seriously respect to you Jim and good luck next time, that's a serious goal :-)