Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: winter round 24th Feb 2013

Re: winter round 24th Feb 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mann View Post
    The direct route - where is the hikers route? - That's new to me!?
    Well done for having a go.. that's the hardest part.. I took 3 to finally get the Paddy done, made the final completion even sweeter. Full credit for having a go anyway.

Hard luck Jim and hats off for another great day out. Sorry I couldn't help and good luck for the next endeavour.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Hard luck mate, better luck next time, did you try the direct route up Bowfell? or the hikers route?

ATB

Tahr
    Hard luck Jim, brave attempt on the record.

p.s. I'm curious too - what's this "hiker's route" up Bowfell? You don't just mean around Angle Tarn and up Ore Gap do you??
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Morning Campers,

A fine effort Jim. I trust you sneaked some rocks or snowballs into your pacers' bags. I'll admit to not minding not running a leg with you - seems right proper quick like (as they say in Gloucestermasseyfergusonoorarrmissuscomebackwithmy tankardshire). Sure you'll nail it next time.

Andy

Great effort Jim. The hills will still be there and you're but a young lad.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    p.s. I'm curious too - what's this "hiker's route" up Bowfell? You don't just mean around Angle Tarn and up Ore Gap do you??
    Thats probably my words - I showed Tahr the BG route up Bowfell on a particularly icy day and explained that realistically the only other way up was the route walkers would take (Angle Tarn and Ore Gap) which is obviously much much slower. On the day we went up though, the BG trod was completely obscured by super slick, packed snow and ice banks which made navigation of it without spikes and an ice axe a bit hairy. Tahr is probably still having nightmares

Hi all,

I have to admit I have little experience of the BG but thanks to some of the great members on here I am being put right by Stolly,Vespa, Martin, Mrs Stagger ect thanks again.

Yes looking on the map there is a walkers path round Angle Tarn, I knew our little group spent a fair amount of time climbing up Bowfell, if there was a lot of ice around just wondered if that would be a better route if run with ice spikes?

Sorry if this is a daft question, I guess every second counts on a record attempt, respect to you Jim for having a go.

Don’t worry Stolly I am not having nightmares but Igg and Martin might be. :w00t:
    Looking at getting to the lakes for some more recces this weekend.

ATB

Tahr
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by AndyKirkup View Post
    Morning Campers,

A fine effort Jim. I trust you sneaked some rocks or snowballs into your pacers' bags. I'll admit to not minding not running a leg with you - seems right proper quick like (as they say in Gloucestermasseyfergusonoorarrmissuscomebackwithmy tankardshire). Sure you'll nail it next time.

Andy
    No rocks or snowballs, but 1.1 kg of ice axes and 2 pairs of crampons was a slight burdon. Especially when I couldn't find time to squeeze the axes back into the bag after bowfell, so I ended up running up Scafell Pike waving 2 axes around like a madman and then carrying them all the way back to Wasdale!

One of the highlights for me was Jim skitting around on a sleep slope up to Scafell Pike, me passing him the two axes and watching him climb the slope bascially hauling himself up on his arms while his legs just skidded around below him. Brilliant.

Then on the descent of Scafell we came across an ice patch which I just sat down and did an ice axe break down the slope, Jim just sat down and flailed his axe and then hit the rocks. More practice needed!

It was also amazing to watch him keep a cool head when things got a lot more serious than we expected on the descent to the bottom of Lords Rake. I think I would have started to go mad as I saw the time ticking away as we carefully placed each step and each axe placement for half an hour on the descent to the base of and the climb of Lords Rake. I was talking to Jim, to keep him calm and was worried he would rush and make a mistake, but there was no need as he just had a smile on his face, realised we were in a pretty amazing situation and plodded on enjoying the day.
    "Training is like fighting a gorilla - you don’t stop when you’re tired; you stop when the gorilla’s tired."

Great effort Jim, Well Done
    Hills and Guinness!

What is the record for the Winter BG Round? Is Stephen Ashworth's claim bonafide? There seems to be alot of speculation that it was not. So what is the record, and who was the runner?