Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ultramarathon advice

Master

Re: Ultramarathon advice

Quote Originally Posted by Denzil View Post
    Bullock Smithy is on the agenda as part of the Montrail Series. If you get chance go and do the Wuthering Hike too. It would be good prep ! Its also organized by our illustrious moderator/administrator, Brett !!
    It`s on the list of to do`s as are several others of the Montrail series, i can`t think of a better way of preparing for the WHW than doing the Montrail races, it`s got to be better than putting in all the long run`s on my Todd.

Only 24.5 miles done today mostly off road and in plenty of heavy going mud great fun, mv Border collie was in her element.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Nope don`t think so i wan`t to hit my goal on this, i will do a bit of catching up as soon as i hit Fort Bill
    I take my hat off to you sir. You clearly take these things rather more seriously than I do. Care to share your goal time with us (or at least your range of times)? Are you gunning for Jez's time?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Gellmeister View Post
    It depends on how you are training, you can do an Ultra before an Ultra as long as you've got the long runs in your legs you should be able to run an Ultra and Bounce into training for the next one. Also the distance in Ultras varies considerably for example training for a 30 miler is completly different to training for a 6 day challenge and the two distances are different specialities in there own right. I've personaly only ever cover 100k and no further, although I would like to do a 24hr race its said to be very difficult to come back down in distance after running one.

Typically I would recommend 2 long key sessions a week i.e 1 on a Wenesday and the Other Saturday. Still do some speed work as in 3 x 10 mins and even that sort of speed work won't take any from your legs if your doing the distance work as well. But basically Ultra Training is about making your long runs your key sessions.
    Hi Gellmeister... if that's you Colin... everyone on this thread should listen to any advice you have for them... Personally i think your 'Mental'

If anyone reading this, thinks i've just insulted this Great British Ultra Runner... Please take into account... this Nutjob! went for an approx 26mile warm down run, round the streets of London, after having just raced in the National X-country at Parliment Hill 2006.

So Full Respect is due!!

Oh and did i mention he did all this, on just some Fruit and half a Ham Sandwich...(no i'm not kidding)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by runningfool View Post
    . Care to share your goal time with us (or at least your range of times)? Are you gunning for Jez's time?

Tim

Yes i will share my goal times with you all, a little closer to the event,
    As for me having a crack at Jez`s time i reckon i am a bit old for that but a comparative age related time would be good, and you will be welcome to join me as i catch up on some of the lost drinking time when i get to Fort Bill.

JLH i listen to and try all advice, and and often use a lot of it.

I found the advice that geillmeister offered up to be very interesting and with your endorsement much of the training advice will be implemented.

keep the the tips coming please.

Thumbs up Re: Ultramarathon advice

all good advice. I walk uphills to conserve energy and jog downhills and flats, jog/run 25 min then walk 5 , sometimes drop that to 15 -5 . If it means going thru the night then practice night running and night navi. Mental side is crucial, i take great solace from small things -sight of a deer, sunrise, nice view, + generosity of spirit of other competitors and supporters sometimes really 'gets u there'. Ultras are like a whole other sport, at one time few thought they could do a marathon, now everyone does it. Same for Ultra type events, enter it if u think u may not finish. Mad eh?? I took a small radio but only listened to it for about half hour, i found it annoying as reception was poor.
    Keep those walshes dirty!!! alf

Master

Thank`s Alf but i think i will give the radio/mp3 player a miss, as i prefer natural sounds i.e. bird`s water etc, but running the flats and descents, and walking the ups,etc are all bang on.

Good luck with theLWW.

Alf,
    Have done lots of 50 milers no problem but for a 100 miler I went on my own through the night - no fixed distance, just to keep going through the night until 6am the following morning just for the hell of it - this was 3 weeks before the race. Race went OK (got some blisters but mentally I was quite strong towards the finish)
    Best of luck in your attempt!

Red face Re: Ultramarathon advice

some good websites around on this www.slb-coaching.com , comprehensive! An interesting but sadly out of print american book www.oldmp.com old mountain press. Its called the Ultimate challenge by Walt Esser ISBN 1-884778-96-8

I've encorporated swimming in with my fellrunning to help develop other muscles and core (we all hate core exercises, don't we ?) also my theory is that it'll help prevent injury. Didn't realise swimming was so technical until a read about it on this site.

Master

Thanks A T good links, have you seen WWW.brianmac.demon.co.uk/corestab.htm

ultra distance i believe officially begins at 50k/31 miles.

a good book of tales of ultra distance runners is 'running through the wall' by neal jamison. they are tales of runners that compete in 100 milers in yankee land.

if you visit www.williamsichel.co.uk/ you will find a nutter i have visited in sanday, orkney who is the 2006 distance champ. he competes in extreme ultras.
    Short arms and deep pockets. A yorkshire man.