Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Llantysilio

Re: Llantysilio - March 16

Are the results up anywhere online?

Re: Llantysilio - March 16

They are on the WFRA website

Slight change to the Llantysilio race route. This year (15th march) instead of staggering through vicious gorse bushes from the final descent off Moel y Gamelin, we have moved the route (adding little to overall distance) to what is now a very runnable fast descent. Hopefully you will all find this a big improvement.
    As always car parking is very limited, so please share, look forward to seeing you all there.

Enjoyable race. Didn't mind the gorse bush finish as it added to the fun of the descent. Will it finish on the road section still?
    "You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back"

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Slight change to the Llantysilio race route. This year (15th march) instead of staggering through vicious gorse bushes from the final descent off Moel y Gamelin, we have moved the route (adding little to overall distance) to what is now a very runnable fast descent. Hopefully you will all find this a big improvement.
    As always car parking is very limited, so please share, look forward to seeing you all there.
    Have to say I quite "enjoyed" the gorse bushes as well... Though seriously, probably a wise choice!

Quote Originally Posted by Athers View Post
    Enjoyable race. Didn't mind the gorse bush finish as it added to the fun of the descent. Will it finish on the road section still?
    Yes, the new route rejoins the old one just before the farm at the road head. The section of gorse etc has been getting worse every year and to my mind, the chances of ankle injuries coming down steep ground which has a heavy camber and has horrendous (and worsening) vegetation have moved form possible to probable. Nick, our wise RO, has made a good call to modify the route.

I ran the new bit yesterday and it makes for MUCH better running and also better racing. The previous section was very hard if not impossible to overtake on whereas the wide, smooth track and the path that cuts back to the old route are both great for hard running and good racing after all the climbing is done.

I think it adds about 300m to the total distance?

Yes it did have one hell of a camber on it come to think about it and i was held up on the narrow track which was a little annoying as i'm a crap climber but make up spots coming down and couldn't with all the vegetation. Sounds good.
    "You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
    I think it adds about 300m to the total distance?
    Oh good, that means I can count it as a pb - clutching at anything to make me feel good about diminishing performances!

Quote Originally Posted by Athers View Post
    Yes it did have one hell of a camber on it come to think about it and i was held up on the narrow track which was a little annoying as i'm a crap climber but make up spots coming down and couldn't with all the vegetation. Sounds good.
    Great - that's just what we thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Lurker! View Post
    Oh good, that means I can count it as a pb - clutching at anything to make me feel good about diminishing performances!
    Good plan. Technically, the record is now up for grabs

After changing the route last year to a fast grassy track, the council, two weeks before the race, decided to turn it into a road and cover it wth cobbles so that 4WD traffic could have access, so we have tweeked the route again, this time to one that stays much more on open hillside and moorland. The race now descends steeply off Gamelin on a narrow path east wards (as opposed to back down the same way), then contours back around westwards then South to the final road finish.
    This is a much better route, as well as being much more technical. If anyone wants a copy of the route, get in contact