Thread: 3 Peaks tomorrow 14th March?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

3 Peaks tomorrow 14th March?

I am looking for a chance to run round the 3 Peaks. I have a day off tomorrow Thursday 14th March, but I strongly suspect there will be too much snow lying. Does anybody know how passable (at running pace) the route is at the moment?

Thanks, Phil.

Re: 3 Peaks tomorrow 14th Marc

Did Whernside and Ingleborough on Sunday. Compact snow, variable depth (nothing to an inch or two with the odd drift). Very runnable. A thin wind up top, with Whernside especially exposed to the easterly. Wind has dropped considerably but expect it to be very noticable on top with the chill factor. Given it's the 3 peaks and it's winter, I'd say the conditions today and (looking at the forecast for tomorrow morning) are about as good as you can get. Just make sure to carry enough kit to cover any unexpected stops. Enjoy!

There were blizzards on Monday night (the Horton road was pretty tricky apparently) so the snow may be a bit deeper now. Stolly and I were up on Great Shunner Fell yesterday and it was fantastic. Good powdery snow that you could run through although the drifts were two foot deep in places and there was some ice left over from the last snow. I reckon a run of the Three Peaks tomorrow will be great, if I wasn't teaching I'd be tempted to come along!

Quote Originally Posted by offcumdun View Post
    Did Whernside and Ingleborough on Sunday. Compact snow, variable depth (nothing to an inch or two with the odd drift). Very runnable. A thin wind up top, with Whernside especially exposed to the easterly. Wind has dropped considerably but expect it to be very noticable on top with the chill factor. Given it's the 3 peaks and it's winter, I'd say the conditions today and (looking at the forecast for tomorrow morning) are about as good as you can get. Just make sure to carry enough kit to cover any unexpected stops. Enjoy!
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

It'll be great. The only bit that might be tricky, especially if its icy, is the race line up Whernside. If in doubt take either of the blue lines on the map below up Whernside rather than the red racing line. The lower blue line best replicates the climb of the race whilst the upper is nicely runnable all the way but longer.

Last edited by Stolly; 13-03-2013 at 04:58 PM.

I did most of it yesterday (missing out PYG as usual) and it was mostly ok, Whernside wasn't too bad although descent was a little dodgy in places. The top of Ingleborough was pretty bad, the steep bit before the gate near the top was around knee deep in snow most of the way up and very icy, the path was difficult to spot and the stream was solid ice most of the way down. I got up it fine in fell shoes using my hands to more or less climb but it's not something I would do alone and would definitely not have wanted to come down that way in a hurry. It may have changed since but I would expect it to still be pretty bad given the snow flurries we've had all day in Leeds. I'm not sure what the weather has been like there today though
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Thanks guys, really helpful.