Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Daz H race - entries open

Re: Daz H race - entries open

That's going to be my approach. It's difficult to know what the timings will be and how best to pace it. I guess the top runners will be able to get their teeth into it but for me, as a mere mortal, it will just be a good day out on the fells. My approach to some parts of the route will be: take it steady on the descent from Whiteless to Newlands - it's very steep and there will be a tendency to bomb down which could knacker the legs up too early; save some leg strength for the rough ascent of High Stile; contour Red Pike and, if possible up the pace a bit - hopefully have some leg strength left for Melbreak; to be sensible and use a map and compass and not follow others. There is a good chance that only a handful of runners know the best lines. I live nearby and regularly run on this area but, in mist, the area around Robinson, locating High Stile and finding Melbreak could all presents problems. I think psychologically the path up to Drum House after Honister could be tough - it's that funny type of gradient which you should be runnable but after a few hours out could be tough on the legs. The forecast at the moment is for rain and cloud from midday onwards. I guess we should be prepared to carry full waterproofs. It's starting to feel quite exciting!

anyone any rough ideas of timing? Psychologically, I need to sort myself out. I am banking on it being similar to Ennerdale times (more ascent but less miles) but news on the street has it that it could be half an hour so longer for the top runners. I guess this gap gets longer the slower you are. Should I be adding a bit more time on from my Ennerdale time (assuming I don't get lost)? Also, any guesses roughly where the half way stage might be - Honister seems the most obvious?
    Last edited by Bobster; 27-06-2013 at 03:06 PM.

One of the top guys in Pennine finished 45 minutes behind the winner at Ennerdale. He is estimating a bit under 4 hrs for the winner and 5 hr for him. Based on that I am estimating 6.5 to 7 for me.

Thanks for that. I think it will be very interesting. I suspect there will be a lot of post race talk on route choice, timings etc. I guess the terrain (for the latter section) is less runnable than Ennerdale and the descent won't be as fast as Wasdale.
    Last edited by Bobster; 27-06-2013 at 04:09 PM.

I am getting pretty excited about it now. It will be my first Lake District Race. Not a total novice in the Lakes walked there for years BK (before kids) and I have done all five legs of the BG while helping out club mates.

you lot think too much I have done no recees, but have looked at the map and read this thread. I have no idea of times or pace- but will do what I can do and hopefully make the cut offs.

Quote Originally Posted by karen nash View Post
    you lot think too much
    Should I leave my timing chart at home then :wink:

God no! Pat!! Get it laminated and taped to your wrist with bearing, including a choice where necessary!!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    God no! Pat!! Get it laminated and taped to your wrist with bearing, including a choice where necessary!!
    I had actually intended on jotting down a couple of bearings on my map.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    I had actually intended on jotting down a couple of bearings on my map.
    Definitely do that. In mist getting off any of the tops without a bearing would be asking for trouble. Last year on the duddon I followed a group of runners off harter fell. We were 90 degrees out - and that was the fifth time I had run that course, and yet made a basic schoolboy error.. I don't trust anyone but my compass.