Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Jura Race

Re: Jura 2012

I've done Jura the week after the OCT but I don't think I would fancy it now but it depends how much training you can get done.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woodzy View Post
    will anyone thats running at jura run the following sat at ennerdale?
    i was wanting to do ennerdale for 1st time not sure i can do it so soon after jura.
    It is possible. I once in a fit of foolishness did, Jura, Duddon, Ennerdale and LAMM on consecutive weekends, but I was younger and fitter then! Duddon and Ennerdale were fine, but I was wrecked on the LAMM!

Re: Jura general enquiries.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel Lee View Post
    Hello All,

I've had a look at the Jura website and it looks like there are a myriad of ways to get there and different costs. So knowing a number of you guys have been there done that what is the best way to get there {that includes cheapest,most time efficient}. Also how long do most people stay and how much do the various ways of staying cost { Camping,b+b}. Any help much appreciated.
    I suppose going direct from the mainland is OK if you are short of time or coming from the north but you have to get to the ferry - if you are driving and like driving thats OK, if you prefer cycling Ardrossan is a much better option and much nearer for those of us south of the border. Leaving your car at Ardrossan is a couple of pounds a night and the helpful ticket office fix you up with the cheapest option/combination of options for tickets for all but the Islay/Jura shuttle (thats a seperate company). Bike mileages are small, especially if you get the ferry to Port Askaig but if you have time its a lovely ride up Islay from Port Ellen to Port Askaig. Although all the linking rides are short there are some fairly big climbs and they are much harder on the way back the day after the race - for this reason a lot choose to break the return journey with a night on Arran but if you push on you can get the ferries all the way back to Ardrossan on Sunday - provided there are no weather delays etc.
    If you break your journey on the way up and dont want to wild camp there is a nice but basic campsite on Islay at Kintra, just outside Port Ellen. What it lacks in facilities it more than makes up for in location! It makes a good base for exploring the rest of the island by bike without all your kit.

what footwear would you advise for jura mudclaws or talons heard its boggey as well as the scree?
    also do most people leave road shoes at the start of the 3 mile road section.

Swings and roundabouts. Lots of peaty bog and lots of rock so it's a toss up. If you really want to shave seconds off your time it might be worth it stashing shoes. Rob Jebb does but I think most don't. Well I don't anyway.Hit the road and then marvel as Craighouse doesn't get any closer. It's the longest three miles in the world.
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...

dont fancy 3 miles of tarmac in mudclaws
    Quote Originally Posted by Margarine View Post
    Swings and roundabouts. Lots of peaty bog and lots of rock so it's a toss up. If you really want to shave seconds off your time it might be worth it stashing shoes. Rob Jebb does but I think most don't. Well I don't anyway.Hit the road and then marvel as Craighouse doesn't get any closer. It's the longest three miles in the world.

Would favour mudclaws or Walsh PBs for the hills bit, and change to road shoes at 3-arches bridge. I think Ian Holmes always does, amongst others. Your fell shoes are likely full of grit from the descent of Shiantaidh, and being wet should be easy to pull off. The road is then a luxury, and the 3.3 miles comes down to about 3.29. Stashing of bikes is not allowed, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodzy View Post
    dont fancy 3 miles of tarmac in mudclaws
    Your legs will be that smashed by then you wont care whats on your feet :w00t:

You probably won't want to sstop. Jebby just cuts his laces. You don't want to be faffing about.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

I opt for mudclaws over x-talons due to the grip, and also the extra protection they give your foot due to the amount of scree. If it was really dry (yeah right!!) and i'd normally opt for x-talons, i'd still go mudclaws personally due to the scree on the paps. I also change to road shoes, think it took me about a minute last year, but I reckon it saved me at least 2 or 3 minutes, and it also cheered me up no end to have dry comfy shoes on my feet, rather than slopping about in boggy fell shoes on the road.