Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Jura Race

Re: Jura general enquiries.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodzy View Post
    or in any of the other 14 miles for that matter!
    Its a fairly runnable race.. if you break it down you 'only' have what 5-6 miles of rough stuff.. it's just so rough, loose and rocky it seems to last forever. But there's plenty of quick running on it in the first and last third, especially if its dry. The first year I did it, we had clear skies, dry ground and there must have been a good 20 under 4 hrs - I doubt I'll ever get such perfect conditions again. I think I was 9th? Top 10 I think and that was low 3:40's. Conditions make such a difference to the speed you can run that route at. The next year it was clagged in and much wetter underfoot and I think only the first 2 sub 4'd.. I should have but made a stupid mistake getting to the last summit, but think I ended up 4:02 or so..

I am trying to do this as cheap as possible - planning to take the bike on the train from Leeds to Ardrossen and would like to explore a bit of Arran and Islay before the race as I have to get back in the few days afterwards. My only option is carrying camping kit on a mountain bike (don't have slick tyres) and I don't have a lightweight tent. Are there any cheap options on the islands or am I better off bringing my tent and wild camping? I'd be keen to hear of any nice cheap campsites on Arran too. I haven't come across any basic ~£8ish bunkbarns on the internet so far.

Thanks

My understanding that campings free at the back of the hotel. Thats where we are going at any rate!!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoors_Junkie View Post
    I am trying to do this as cheap as possible - planning to take the bike on the train from Leeds to Ardrossen and would like to explore a bit of Arran and Islay before the race as I have to get back in the few days afterwards. My only option is carrying camping kit on a mountain bike (don't have slick tyres) and I don't have a lightweight tent. Are there any cheap options on the islands or am I better off bringing my tent and wild camping? I'd be keen to hear of any nice cheap campsites on Arran too. I haven't come across any basic ~£8ish bunkbarns on the internet so far.

Thanks
    Lots of wild camping options - on Arran its easier once you are across on the west coast, try the stretch between Lochranza and Catacoll. East side on Kintyre is best, near the ferry, lots of choice on Islay but if you are ready for some basic facilities the campsite at Kintra isn't too bad pricewise for a small tent (think it was about £6 last time I stopped there - worth it for the beach). Once on Jura no charge on the field in front of the hotel (just buy some food and beer from them!) and plenty of quieter wild camping options as well, depending how far you want to be from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    Salomon Speedcross? Its all I've been using this year. If not I think I'll need to resole some Walsh's or buy and bed in new ones. I'm not keen on Inov8's having had two poor experiences with them. It looks pretty rocky and a fair bit of scree, I'm a little concerned that with the Walsh's I'll feel every rock!
    I'm thinking maybe Speedcross - mainly because my fused ankle isn't looking forward to 3.5 miles on the road in my Mudclaws.

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    My understanding that campings free at the back of the hotel. Thats where we are going at any rate!!
    It is.. sadly the chain eating of burgers from the van and pub food.. cakes.. then the post race beers mean you can easily spend a huge amount..

Are there any food shops nearby? I don't expect there to be an Asda but is there a corner shop as I will be bringing a stove.

Jura stores in Craighouse, doesn't have loads of stuff, and I heard a whisper things aren't going so well - can't remember all the details but i think they have cut their opening hours and you would think they would open all hours when the race was on but they don't. I would take a bit of pasta, cous cous or what ever if you wnat to keep costs down
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Re: Jura 2012

Mind you having said that there will probably be a Tesco there by race day haha.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Re: Jura 2012

I know that there are other threads on the topic of TICKS, but I think my running pals are trying to scare me to death. If it is to be believed, the ticks are enormous and plentiful. They have warned against running in shorts for fear of tick ridden gonads:w00t: from the piccies, most runners DO wear shorts. What tick precautions do the panel advise??