Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Jura Race

Re: Jura 2011...

Get in - am on the list.... Now for the travel arrangements - should prove interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by NeilH View Post
    Get in - am on the list.... Now for the travel arrangements - should prove interesting!
    yeah, a few options to sort through on the ferries there ...

Anyone else from the forum doing this? Getting excited for it now.... Bicycles, tents, whisky, scree - not neccessarily in that order.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilH View Post
    Anyone else from the forum doing this? Getting excited for it now.... Bicycles, tents, whisky, scree - not neccessarily in that order.
    I'll be there. I'm looking forward to it, I think!
    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamA View Post
    The old Jura thread comes up with an old 2007 message saying that entries are now closed, which may mislead. This is not yet the case for the 2011 race, so here is a new thread to get going again. If you are interested, please keep an eye on the News and Notes page of the race website www.jurafellrace.org.uk. It will be updated early next week.
    Think I'm now a non-starter, awaiting confirmation but think I'm off working out in the Arctic seas for the Norwegians....

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Think I'm now a non-starter, awaiting confirmation but think I'm off working out in the Arctic seas for the Norwegians....
    Just been offered a CL final ticket off my parents who are away that weekend and have a guaranteed ticket due to their season ticket.....bloody norwegians...

HELP???????!!!! Rib not crossing on Race Day……

I’ve only just discovered that the Islay (to Jura) Sea Safari Passenger “Rib” Ferry that has been sailing from Tayvallich to Craighouse on a regular basis in the past has lost its subsidy from the “Scottish Government” and consequently the service has now reverted to Private Charters. The good news is that there are indeed some crossings on the Thursday & Sunday of this year’s Jura Race weekend, no doubt booked by clued up Runners & their associates – BUT, as yet there is NO sailing on the Saturday (early am) to cater for Last Minute arrivals, which 3 of us (and no doubt quite a few more who don’t know as yet) will be this year….
    So, if there any folk out there who were hoping to take the Rib early’ish on Sat am, in time to do the race, please do get in touch and let’s see if we can arrange a crossing. I spoke to the Ferry Master last night (Nicol Mackinnon) who confirmed that it would be possible to arrange a crossing/s – currently the cost working on capacity of 12 passengers is £22.50 a head (each way), not a bad deal at all and I know it is superb experience crossing by Rib into Craighouse – really a great way to arrive!
    So if you would like to sort out a collective booking for the Saturday am, please PM me via the Forum or better still drop me an email at [email protected]
    Plus – there is an initiative to restore the subsidy to the “Rib” Ferry Service, which has been a real success, providing a good (quick!) alternative to the Cal-Mac route – you can help in the process by visiting and contributing to the Survey and thereby support reinstatement via http://www.jurapassengerferry.com/ ……..please take the time to do this.

Thanks
    Andy

Apparently also known as……..
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..

Andy - I'm going up early as usual but really sorry to hear this - I hope you manage to get something sorted out and I see you there.

Something else re ferries that not everyone might know - Port Ellen pier is out of use this year, it shouldn't affect too many people as most go direct to Port Askaig but if anyones planning a few days on Islay first it makes a difference - the good news is that as far as I can tell the Sunday morning ferry that normally leaves Port Ellen is now going from Port Askaig, so anyone wanting an early return on the Sunday will find it easier than getting up very early and riding like mad down the length of Islay.

Mark

Cheers Mark,

Hopefully we will make it in time - it's perhaps just about possible to take the early (7am) Saturday CalMac Kennacraig Ferry, then peddle like crazy to get to the start line in time.....and/or cadge a lift, or hop on the Jura Bus........watch this space!

See you there....one way or another:thumbup:!
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..

For the state of fast rib crossings to Craighouse, please check the website www.jurafellrace.org.uk where you will always find the latest information I have. Some more was added this morning. Hope lots of people take advantage of this as the guys running the boats are very keen for them to be used.