Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: Jura Race

Does anyone know if it will be the "Sunday" ferry service operating on the bank holiday Monday? Specifically on the Kennacraig to Port Askaig and Port Askaig to Feolin routes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Harrison View Post
    Does anyone know if it will be the "Sunday" ferry service operating on the bank holiday Monday? Specifically on the Kennacraig to Port Askaig and Port Askaig to Feolin routes.
    Not a public holiday in most of Scotland, pretty sure it isn't in Argyll so should be normal service.

Jura Fell Race. My first one, and it was proper Epic. Fantastic views, excellent companionship, and generally a brilliant weekend out.
    Blog here,
    http://testedtodestruction.blogspot....race-2014.html
    I also managed to get photos of the finish positions and times and put them on the bottom, hopefully they'll be zoomable. or at least blow-up-able if you click on them.

Hectors time was quite unbelievable.
    And chatting to Roger Ashby afterward about how he found the cut offs- his exact words were... "well, I Stress-tested them".
    Superb effort all round.

As ever, thanks to all those involved, including the distillery who continue to so generously support the race.

Quote Originally Posted by zephr View Post
    Jura Fell Race. My first one, and it was proper Epic. Fantastic views, excellent companionship, and generally a brilliant weekend out.
    Blog here,
    http://testedtodestruction.blogspot....race-2014.html
    I also managed to get photos of the finish positions and times and put them on the bottom, hopefully they'll be zoomable. or at least blow-up-able if you click on them.

Hectors time was quite unbelievable.
    And chatting to Roger Ashby afterward about how he found the cut offs- his exact words were... "well, I Stress-tested them".
    Superb effort all round.

As ever, thanks to all those involved, including the distillery who continue to so generously support the race.
    Well done on your sub 4, impressive stuff!

It was my first Jura to and my only aim was to finish in one piece and enjoy myself, and I succeeded in both. It's such a fantastic route, I wonder if there are any other races that cram so much into 13 miles (before the road!)? It makes Hector's new record all the more impressive. Particularly enjoyed those scree descents.

Saturday's weather was perfect, sunny and cloudless but with just enough wind to keep the midges at bay (though they did make an appearance in the evening).

Great atmosphere, lots of people out supporting and lots of people sat in their front gardens along the road clapping us along. All in all probably the most enjoyable race I've done; I'll definitely be back!
    Last edited by Sam Harrison; 26-05-2014 at 01:58 PM.

My wife and I are eyeing this for next year. Any top tips on organising transport and accommodation?

Quote Originally Posted by richardbembridge View Post
    My wife and I are eyeing this for next year. Any top tips on organising transport and accommodation?
    There are a few different transport options. We opted to leave the car in Kennacraig on the mainland and catch the ferry first to Islay (Port Askaig) and then to Jura (Feolin). It's 8 miles from Feolin to the race start in Craighouse, so we (along with most others) took our bikes. You could also book your car on if you book early enough, or there's a bus service from Feolin to Craighouse.

There's also a passenger ferry from Tayvallich (mainland) straight to Craighouse, though this is a bit more expensive at £20 per person each way. It's only a RIB so you can't take a car (but I think they do allow bikes).

I believe there are also ferries from Oban, but again if you want to take your car you'll need to book well in advance.

I'm sure there are other options as well which no doubt others will point out! Hope that helps.

Forgot about accommodation!

The Jura Hotel has a lawn which you're able to camp on. By next year they should have a proper toilet block built (it was portaloos and showers this year) and I've heard will charge £5 pppn for it (it was free this year).

There's also the option of staying in the hotel itself, and there are also a number of holiday cottages on the island. They'd have to be booked well in advance though.

Never under estimate the power of the darkside of the fells.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Racing Snake View Post
    Great video and superb race.
    My first time (5hr 40ish I think) but:
    - Amazing route (proper mountains - was a bit worried about cut offs but actually pretty generous,found the last hill a bit much at the time but a lovely run off and did not mind road too much, might take road shoes next time) ;
    - Great weather;
    - Super local support;
    - Wonderful trip up;
    - Kids loved their races;
    - A ceilidh too!;
    Can see why people keep going back, probably my best fell race ever!
    In case you didn't guess, I liked it(!)

Just made my way back. Great weekend again. Fun cycling over, apart from getting stuck in a cloudburst on the Boguille. Was very pleased to find out there was a SYHA in Lochranza. 2 Glasses down!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy