Thread: Dragon's Back 2015

Dragon's Back 2015

I poo pooed this when they resurrected it last year.
    But then I watched a video a couple of weeks ago and got all inspired.
    But then I clicked on the entry page this morning and saw the price tag.
    I suppose it is five days all in. But it's still £150 a day. I suppose it's an epic event - but then it got a right slagging from some quarters last year.
    I'd be really peed off if I paid £750 and then didn't complete, but then if they made it easier so that I could complete it would then just be another hyper expensive cheesy executive trail race.
    Maybe I should just pretend I never saw it, never heard about it and eradicate it from my memory.

Now, if they charged £1.50 like the Barkley Marathons, they could make it as hard as they wanted - that would be epic!

Until then I suppose it might remain the domain of the toughest executives. See, I'm already talking myself out of it. Phew!

Re: Dragon's Back 2015

Just remember your no more than £1 per mile rule!

I don't think it cost me that much to do the GR20 whole length of Corsica - flights, camp fees and food. I would like to go back and do that faster than 14 days.
    Like you I was awed by the Dragons Back tales but cannot justify that money- might have to wait until 'new' campervan is completed and ask husband to support me? and just do it as a personal adventure

A hell of a lot of money to enter, but the logistics of the event for 100 people, with all the backups justify the price. I can't see it being run any cheaper as a commercial venture, the finances simply wouldn't add up unless serious corners were cut.

Now if you had spent 5 days marshalling on the 2012 event (like me) you would have had a free entry offer for 2015 :thumbup:. Unfortunately I think I shall be too old and knackered to take it up :thunbdown:.

Nothing to stop you doing a DIY version, the hills are the same.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

The "back of a fag package" calculations of the costs on last years thread were very revealing

Senior Member Don't fear the sweeper's Avatar

To do list for Barkley Marathons:
    Buy frozen chicken. Half cook it.
    Wait at Start/Finish for 60 hours.

To do list for Dragon's Back:
    Organise campsites, castles, choir, mayor, portaloos, mobile catering, checkpoints, transport of runners doing the Half Dragon, celebratory meal. Etc. Over a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Don't fear the sweeper View Post
    To do list for Barkley Marathons:
    Buy frozen chicken. Half cook it.
    Wait at Start/Finish for 60 hours.

To do list for Dragon's Back:
    Organise campsites, castles, choir, mayor, portaloos, mobile catering, checkpoints, transport of runners doing the Half Dragon, celebratory meal. Etc. Over a week.
    Aye.. its expensive.. but its a weeks holidays..

I didn't do it last time and majorly regret it. As I doubt I'll be back for some time its probably the biggest thing I missed out on in my time in Wales. Its a huge outlay in terms of time and organisation. If I gave up a weeks holiday the expense is only part of the issue, its ensuring I get something done. I'd rather pay 750 for a top week.. then 10 quid for an error strewn, poorly organised event..

My DVD of the event arrived and we watched it last night. Most enjoyable and probably worth a look if you want to know what it is all about - lots of pain!!!

Hey Molehill,

The DVD is awesome isn't it? I went to Sheffield to see it and met up with Helene, Steve, Shane, Heather, Mike very briefly. It was awesome. I have started training now for the DBR 2015 and so far so good. There is the Dragon's Belly in June organised by Nikki following the route that the original race followed, though that was an alteration of the intended route. I am excited about entering and excited about the training and feeling fitter every week. As for the cost, it is expensive, but it is worth it. It can't be compared to GR20 as that is an internationally know route and support is in place. This is being set up from scratch by a man with phenomenal organisational experience and skill - however, that is old ground. It is worth it guys if you have the motivation to train as hard as is needed to complete this course fully. This means lots of miles and lots of mountains. It was noted the mountain runners faired better that the ultra runners so take the advice on board and go for it if you dare!!!

So the Missus and I are sitting outside our local, with a pint, celebrating our wedding anniversary, when a runner staggers up to the door with a glazed expression.

I turned to the Missus and said: "I bet he's recceing the Dragons Back".
    Guess what, I was right! 2 weeks to go.