Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recce May 8-12th

Re: Recce May 8-12th

Hi Chris, non pb.
    I'm planning to run with Andy too. I gonna finish my plan for newt week this week-end.
    see you, d.

Hello everybody, hello fellrunners,
    here after is the plan for my recce.
    Il would like to thank everyone for your messages, help, mail,...It is a great support for me.
    Wednesday may 8th : I plan to run leg#1 from 6.30/7 p.m from MootHall
    Friday may 10th : Leg #4 . @Bill, if you are still OK may be we can start at 10 a.m. at Wasdale
    Saturday may 11th : join Andy attempt for leg #3, at 3 a.m. at Dunmail
    I have reserved a room @Shemara Guest House, Bank Street, Keswick and my wife will drive me to and back from different.

If you want to join me/us, it will be with great pleasure of course.
    feel free to email me : [email protected]

best to all, didier the french fellrunner lover of BGR

A great great Thank to Simon who allow me to discover Leg4 in good conditions even if the recce had to be cut because an injury. Thank you again Simon !

Cheers Didier, although I wouldn't say the conditions were good. In fact far from it; very wet and cold with visibility at 20m for most of the day. You doing the splits awkwardly on Kirkfell was a shame and it was pity we hightailed it back to Honister from Beckhead. Trail running shoes aren't "de rigeur" for the BG
    Boy! was I cold through by the time I got home.
    But as usual, it was fun ( I think ) to be on the fells.
    Big, impressive rockfall on the black crag traverse. I reckon it's a ten ton boulder that's blocking the path but easily avoidable on the uphill side.
    Simon
    PS Maybe Didier will tell the forum how his solitary leg 1 recce went. Impressive time given where he went!

Quote Originally Posted by keswicksimon View Post
    Cheers Didier, although I wouldn't say the conditions were good. In fact far from it; very wet and cold with visibility at 20m for most of the day.

I'll second that we were in the same area and when I read about the conditions being good I choked on my pint . A character building day to be out on the fells. It seemed even worse this morning on top of Skiddaw.
    Simon
    PS Maybe Didier will tell the forum how his solitary leg 1 recce went. Impressive time given where he went!
    I'd like to hear about it :-)

Hi Simon, after the shot, I acknowledge that it would have be better to hear your advices for the Leg 1. But I was afraid that the night put me in trouble. So I decided to start at 5 with the 5£ Bob Graham Round Map bought in George Fisher shop last year... All was OK to Skiddaw I reached after 1h10' . I engaged the descent without a break. At this point difficulties began... I miss the good crossover of the fence, and found my body in front of a huge rough and an impressive view. I did not see any path or trod - I know now - So i decided to go straight away (ouille, aïe, brrr,...my knees remember this moment) to the road I was seing But I go to far on the west and I has to run to the east on the gravel path, to the Skid house, and when I found a little stream of water I considered it was there I could grow up to Great Calva. I reached the top after 2h15'. The wind was huge and I sat behind the pile of stones to look after my way. I went down on the right of the fence, hazardous !! After 2 or 3 hundred meters, I was afraid because it was very steep and I chose to go on the right and found a path into a little stream of water. At the bottom I saw a wood bridge and joined it to cross the river. Then I cross and ran on high grass to the east and grew up to Blencathra, and I have had to cross a river without bridge. After that as I decided to go straight away, I was not enough at the east and I was surprised by another hard descent before an attack on the last top. I was a litte bit discouraged. I reached Blencathra and thought the leg was finished, just to go down to Threkfled But I made another mistake and didn't find the good path and once again I did this last downhill across the rough and the stones, and to far in the west. I might run about 500m along the stone wall to find the road to the farm and the car of my wife Claire who was following me thanks to my head light I have switch on at the top of Blencathra. I did this particular Leg 1, in 4h40' after 21,8km and 1.850m D+.
    Didier (sorry for my poor english)

Good reading Didier.
    For the benefit of other readers, little did he know it but....Didier descended towards Bakestall, veering north of Tod gill passing through Candleseaves Bog. At the bottom of the Calva descent, he swung SW and crossed the FB on the way upto Skiddaw House. He was surprised when he crossed the Caldew further on. At the bottom of the fell he aimed straight for Blencathra dropping into Sinen and Roughten Gills. When he thought he was on the summit he was in fact on Gategill Fell top. The direct descent from there to the fell bottom is quite scary at the top and pretty pathless all the way down. 4 hrs 40.
    Well done Didier.

Think I met Didier this morning when Stolly, Gavin and I did an anticlockwise recce of Leg 5 (or leg 1). A Frenchman and a woman gazing up at Blencathra asked us which was the summit and said he thought he'd been to the wrong part. Nice to meet you! We had a great three days in the lakes but the weather was appalling with today being the best until we got to Skiddaw when it was nasty on top.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Yes It was us We were on the road back to France (Lille) ;(
    I would like to see the true Blencathra I have missed !!! I did not have say my last word. I will come back !!!
    Nice to meet you and best wishes for you 3.
    d.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hes View Post
    Think I met Didier this morning when Stolly, Gavin and I did an anticlockwise recce of Leg 5 (or leg 1). A Frenchman and a woman gazing up at Blencathra asked us which was the summit and said he thought he'd been to the wrong part. Nice to meet you! We had a great three days in the lakes but the weather was appalling with today being the best until we got to Skiddaw when it was nasty on top.