Thread: Alwinton

Alwinton

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the races section. Feel free to move it!

Short version: I'm thinking of making this my first fell race. Good idea?

Long version: I've done a lot of trail running in the South and I'm doing my second marathon in London in a few weeks time. I want to start fell running, but logistics make it hard. Alwinton attracts because I'm going to be in Northumberland for a week then. The distance is something I feel relatively comfortable with and although a B is a lot more climb than I'm used to in a race, at least it's not an A!

My main concerns are navigation and the terrain being extremely technical. I'm not a total neophyte when it comes to the hills. I've been on my share of walking holidays and done limited running when there.

Has anyone done the Alwinton race? Anything that should really put me off?

Re: Alwinton

I've only done it once and it was a nice race. I'd do it again if it ever fitted in with other stuff! I seem to recall it being in December but I may be wrong and/or it may have been moved. Its over moors and tracks etc so not that technical. Decent field so plenty to erm...follow if required and a fair few North Eastern 'road runners' go for it. It might be relatively quick because there is plenty of running in it too. As I say, its a while since I did it and assuming its the same race I did!!

Enjoy, it'll be fine......
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

That all sounds pretty ideal!

For the record, the race I was thinking of doing is this one: http://fellrunner.org.uk/races.php?id=2569. 8th June, apparently. Looking on the forums there also seems to be an Alwinton Show race that is much shorter. Not sure when it is / was, but it sounds like the race you're talking about is the one I'm interested in.

I've done it a couple of times, real nice run, the climbs are all runnable and nothing technical on the descents at all and the tracks/ trails are all well trodden, maybe a little room for error in the forest sections i seem to recall, but I managed to get it right when needing to, I was racing at the front by myself so had to! its tended to be nice weather when Ive ran it, but some of it is on the high cheviots and open to all kind of weather! Enjoy

Ah! Yes, Rev. I have done it once but not the one I was thinking of. I did get DQ'd for getting lost in the woods! I ended up making a bit of a hash of it! It is still a good run though!! I was thinking of Hexhamshire Hobble!!?
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheReverand View Post
    i seem to recall, but I managed to get it right when needing to, I was racing at the front by myself so had to!
    Must be easy to follow then