Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pen Y fan race 21st July

Pen Y fan race 21st July

This was my first ever fell race last year, and what a brilliant intro to fell running it was too - would highly recommend it. They're doing a Brecons weekend this year with this race and another longer one the day after so it's well worth the travel down here.
    Go on - run in South Wales! (i'm only a quarter Welsh so I'm not going to get too exited.)

Re: Pen Y fan race 21st July

I'll be there for the weekend, the horseshoe around Fan y Big is a new race gaining access to the Beacons from a different direction to other races. There's camping in the start / finish field behind the village hall at Ty Fry Farm overnight Saturday. The sites not advertised but it's OK just camp up and call at the farm, they also do B&B.

Pen Y Fan is the best! Worth travelling to from wherever I reckon. I've raced in most parts and this race takes some beating. Probably the best descent of any race and the climb is a real challenge. I'll buy a pint for anyone who can run all the way to the top of Corn Du!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Pen Y Fan is the best! Worth travelling to from wherever I reckon. I've raced in most parts and this race takes some beating. Probably the best descent of any race and the climb is a real challenge. I'll buy a pint for anyone who can run all the way to the top of Corn Du!
    You're on! Did it 5 times for the Beeb!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post

Us locals would prefer it if anyone who can run even half way up, would stay at home. Saves embarassment. Mind you, if it chucks it down with rain, some of you immortals might be coming down a bit quicker than you anticipated !

Either way, enjoy !

I should be there, a long time since I last ran it - and couldn't walk for a week afterwards

Ruddles Rules will apply for me, no intention of running up anywhere
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Working Pants

Quote Originally Posted by Toffer View Post
    Working Pants
    Just what I'd say!!!

But does it have a totally unbreakable record at 30 minutes dead? We'll see... this year and forever we're chucking £100 into the pot for whoever breaks the record (this will be cumulative, depending on sponsorship). Norther b'st'ds listen up - that should pay for your bus fair back to Rockhardwick and a couple of pints to boot.
    About that record... that was Keith Anderson at his best in a British Champs race. I don't know whether anyone pushed him, but legend has it that he descended from summit to finish in 7 mins dead. So he was at the summit in 23. Last year Mark Palmer was at the summit in 25:21, finishing in 34:37, and he's a pretty good descender (but wet and windy). In 2005, Rob Hope won in 32:00 in the British champs race, but we don't have the summit split.
    And we've got lots of other good prizes too, including for overall best combined with Fan y Big Horseshoe on sunday.
    And I nearly forgot...beer for all.

Crispin me ole flower! Here are the facts from my race report for Up and Down magazine, issue 11. Anderson turned at the top in 3rd place having ascended in 22.50. He blistered back down in 7.10 to record 30 mins dead.
    James Ward of Derby summited first in 22.20 followed by Andy Peace in 22.21 but both finished just over a minute adrift of Keith. So he turned a 30 second deficit into a minute lead...quite amazing. No one since has come near. Glad to see the prize fund is there. I'll chuck something in the pot too!

173 took part in that '92 British champs race held on a chilly April day with the remnants of winter snow clinging to the norty facing slopes.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth